Page 1 of 3

England at the world cup

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2026 9:54 pm
by MJMcCready
What's your take on England at the world cup? I can't say I am too impressed and don't expect them to get very far.

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2026 10:18 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
They've got further than some fancied sides already.

Though at the moment France look so much better than anyone else, its hard to see beyond them.

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2026 11:29 pm
by MJMcCready
That's true yes but either Mexico or Brazil will stop them if we keep playing the way we have so far (first game excepted)

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2026 11:49 pm
by Paul Habershon
England v Norway at 81.56 on the football clock. Fairly sure I just saw camera pick out Magnus in the crowd. No remark by commentator.

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2026 12:07 am
by James Pratt
Paul is right. 3 mentions of chess by the commentator.
And Sir David Becks, Mick Jagger and - wait for it - Magnus himself look on. Xtra time now being played in Miami.
James

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2026 8:53 am
by Christopher Kreuzer
I hope to see Magnus be (gently) asked about this in future by chess publications, and for this to come up in Olympiad clashes. Does Magnus still play Olympiads?

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2026 12:40 pm
by Neil Graham
Paul Habershon wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 11, 2026 11:49 pm
England v Norway at 81.56 on the football clock. Fairly sure I just saw camera pick out Magnus in the crowd. No remark by commentator.
Actually there was a remark by the commentator something to the effect "this match is like a chess game" etc. This was close to the time when Carlsen was shown (he appeared twice). Unfortunately clearly the commentator had no idea who he was so was unable to make any witty ripostes about chess.

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2026 2:57 pm
by MJMcCready
Yeah I heard that. Could have been wittier.

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2026 9:41 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
I think that Magnus once made a cameo appearance in a match at Real Madrid (a friendly match, in case that was not obvious). The commentators did not recognise him then either.

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2026 9:43 pm
by John Upham
MJMcCready wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 01, 2026 9:54 pm
What's your take on England at the world cup? I can't say I am too impressed and don't expect them to get very far.
Do you stand by this prediction?

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2026 10:11 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
"I think that Magnus once made a cameo appearance in a match at Real Madrid (a friendly match, in case that was not obvious). The commentators did not recognise him then either."

I believe he did the ceremonial kick-off in a proper game, (this may well be a completely different event), whilst the British commentators said something like "some Spanish bloke has just ..." Magnus is renowned for looking Spanish. But rather pleasingly, as he retreated to the touch line, one of the Real players ran up and shook hands with him.

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2026 10:21 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
John Upham wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 13, 2026 9:43 pm
MJMcCready wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 01, 2026 9:54 pm
What's your take on England at the world cup? I can't say I am too impressed and don't expect them to get very far.
Do you stand by this prediction?
Clearly, the prediction was incorrect. It remains true, however, that to date England looked the most impressive in their opening match.

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2026 11:59 am
by Roger de Coverly
Neil Graham wrote: ↑
Sun Jul 12, 2026 12:40 pm
Actually there was a remark by the commentator something to the effect "this match is like a chess game" etc. This was close to the time when Carlsen was shown (he appeared twice). Unfortunately clearly the commentator had no idea who he was so was unable to make any witty ripostes about chess.
Was Eberechi Eze on the pitch at the time? He could have been mentioned as a fellow chess champion.

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2026 12:56 pm
by Mick Norris
Eze came on at halftime, so yes

Re: England at the world cup

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2026 1:44 pm
by MJMcCready
Yes he did. He looked as talented as always but didn't make much of an impact.