Andrew Tate and Emory Tate

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John Upham

Andrew Tate and Emory Tate

Post by John Upham » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:09 pm

Apparently Andrew Tate (who would appear to be someone I'd rather not know) is one of the sons of Emory Tate.

See https://uk.news.yahoo.com/who-is-andrew ... 11306.html

Emory was someone who Maurice Ashley wrote about enthusiastically.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emory_Tate

Its a a funny old world...
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Re: Andrew Tate and Emory Tate

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:12 pm

Also in Chess History
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13210

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:22 pm

I am grateful for the reference Roger.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:56 pm

Good God!
I last saw Emory Tate at an Open in Mallorca about ten years ago. He was one of my opponents in a simul I gave in Bedford in 1982. But I got to know him better at Ali Amin´s London café Chequers in 1984. He and another US Military guy drove me back to Bedford. It was pretty much understood that he worked at the Chicksands base in South Beds and that was for monitoring of Russian transmissions. But he would just smile if the subject of what he did was ever broached.
Fluent Russian.
Last edited by James Plaskett on Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:48 am

James Plaskett wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:56 pm
Good God!
I last saw Emory Tate at an Open in Mallorca about ten years ago. He was one of my opponents in a simul I gave in Bedford in 1982. But I got to know him better at Ali Amin´s London café Chequers in 1984. He and another US Military guy drove me back to Bedford. It was pretty much understood that he worked at the Chicksands base in South Beds and that was for monitoring of Russian transmissiobs. But he would just smile if the subject of what he did was ever broached. Fluent Russian.
That is really interesting. Any chance of more memories of Emory Tate and his military work?

Kirk Gornall

Post by Kirk Gornall » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:29 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:48 am
James Plaskett wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:56 pm
Good God!
I last saw Emory Tate at an Open in Mallorca about ten years ago. He was one of my opponents in a simul I gave in Bedford in 1982. But I got to know him better at Ali Amin´s London café Chequers in 1984. He and another US Military guy drove me back to Bedford. It was pretty much understood that he worked at the Chicksands base in South Beds and that was for monitoring of Russian transmissiobs. But he would just smile if the subject of what he did was ever broached. Fluent Russian.
That is really interesting. Any chance of more memories of Emory Tate and his military work?
I would recommend the book Triple Exclam!!! by Daaim Shabazz. It gives a fascinating insight into the life and chess games of Emory Tate. There are lots of pictures in the book too. He certainly had an aggressive and uncompromising playing style, and I would imagine he struck fear into many established GMs on the North American tournament circuit. I am sure that if he had been more devoted to chess and perhaps had some high level coaching, he would have attained the GM title.