FM Michael White

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John Upham

FM Michael White

Post by John Upham » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:08 am

Have you received any baffling and bizarre emails allegedly from FM Michael White?

I suspect his account has been hacked.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Joey Stewart

Re: FM Michael White

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:43 pm

Ive had plenty of those hacked emails from other chess players in the past but not for a few years and not from Michael White. I thought that scam had more or less died out, especially not using players who have not played for decades and are likely long dead.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:05 am

You might be interested to know that following my initial post in this place I was contacted by the Avon and Somerset Police and was asked to forward any emails I received allegedly from FM Michael White.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:55 am

John Upham wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:05 am
You might be interested to know that following my initial post in this place I was contacted by the Avon and Somerset Police and was asked to forward any emails I received allegedly from FM Michael White.
They've done such a excellent job eliminating traditional crime ( burglaries, muggings, car theft, rapes etc ), I suppose they now have to find other ways of keeping themselves occupied.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:05 pm

In the email allegedly from FM Michael White I was asked if would like to offer him a loan and purchase photographs from his

"private photo collection"
I approach to see if you're interested in offering me any money or a loan for some of my photos?
Needless to say, this prospect did not fill me with an enormous amount of enthusiasm.

I then blocked his alleged email address.

We can all speculate on the nature of these private photographs but I have no intention of finding out!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:55 pm

"You might be interested to know that following my initial post in this place I was contacted by the Avon and Somerset Police and was asked to forward any emails I received allegedly from FM Michael White."

Are you sure that message was genuine?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:30 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:55 pm
"You might be interested to know that following my initial post in this place I was contacted by the Avon and Somerset Police and was asked to forward any emails I received allegedly from FM Michael White."

Are you sure that message was genuine?
Kevin,

What is your interpretation of the word "allegedly" ?

Avon & Somerset Police contacted myself rather than vice versa (no pun intended).

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:15 pm

"Kevin,

What is your interpretation of the word "allegedly" ?"

The English one. I was asking if you thought the message was genuinely from the police. It may be that the reason we never see them in Somerset is because they're indoors sending emails to people.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:39 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:15 pm
"Kevin,

What is your interpretation of the word "allegedly" ?"

The English one. I was asking if you thought the message was genuinely from the police. It may be that the reason we never see them in Somerset is because they're indoors sending emails to people.
I did not write that the Avon & Somerset Police allegedly telephoned me.

They actually telephoned me.

It was a lady T/DC from North East CID Team 4 based in

Concorde House, Harlequin Office Park, Fieldfare, Emersons Green, Bristol, BS16 7FN

I can pm you her name and number if you wish and she can look into your matters of concern.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:14 pm

It does sound a bit fishy actually - did you ever wonder how the police somehow knew that you had recieved a scam email from an individual not seen in over a decade and to immediately contact you to follow up on it. I'd say it's more then likely that it is part of the same operation and the "police" you spoke to are also scammers trying to work some sort of angle - probably best to contact the real police about this before you end up getting burgled or worse.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:18 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:14 pm
It does sound a bit fishy actually - did you ever wonder how the police somehow knew that you had recieved a scam email from an individual not seen in over a decade and to immediately contact you to follow up on it.
I did.

They were investigating "a person of interest" and found this thread in this place and then looked up my telephone number and rang.

They want to know of anyone else who received emails from this person of interest BTW.