fisticuffs please to decide match

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
AlanLlewellyn

fisticuffs please to decide match

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:03 pm

in one game i played, the player started the game then move 5 or so said please stop the game the board is the wrong way around.
I immediately looked for the white square in the right corner and said no its the right way around, 'lets continue'. No said the player the a to h and 1 to 8 on the side are the wrong way around he stated. I said that doesnt matter can you not count to 8 or know your a to h alphabet- i refused to stop the game and move the position around so it got rather heated with us shouting obscenities at each other.

AlanLlewellyn

Re: fisticuffs please to decide match

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:31 pm

you see us that dont cheat know what each square is having played for years. I felt he was taking da proverbial.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:58 pm

The Ietters/numeraIs aren't part of the board and are for guidance onIy. ReIevant FIDE articIes:
"2.1 The chessboard is composed of an 8 x 8 grid of 64 equal squares alternately light (the ‘white’ squares) and dark (the ‘black’ squares).
The chessboard is placed between the players in such a way that the near corner square to the right of the player is white"
and "7.2.2 If during a game it is found that the chessboard has been placed contrary to Article 2.1, the game shall continue but the position
reached must be transferred to a correctly placed chessboard". The latter article does not apply since nothing is contrary to the former".

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:16 pm

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:03 pm
. No said the player the a to h and 1 to 8 on the side are the wrong way around he stated.
If you have a sense of order, it is actually marginally annoying when they are the wrong way round.

Having said that, not everyone knows where the squares are. I've seen players counting with their fingers to get the scoring right. I also had a member of an away team bring his own board on the premise that he couldn't rely on the home team to supply boards with coordinates.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:45 pm

My old club had a large junior section and it was normal to find folding boards with four sets of coordinates biro'd on, scribbled out and reinstated. Good times.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.