Start Date of Next Lockdown?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Dragoljub Sudar

Re: Start Date of Next Lockdown?

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:17 pm

I m not sure I'd take notice of any 'official' report where the sentence starts 'None of the cases are...'

Maybe this post should be in the 'pedants' thread.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:21 pm

From a Guardian piece published a couple of hours ago:
The Guardian wrote:The Guardian has seen leaked advice from UKHSA for [Sajid] Javid, marked “official, sensitive” saying: “The key point is that under a range of plausible scenarios, stringent action is needed on or before 18 December 2021 if doubling times stay at 2.5 days. Even if doubling times rise to around 5 days, stringent action is likely still needed in December.”

It adds: “The rapid spread of Omicron means that action to limit pressures on the health system might have to come earlier than intuition suggests.” Its calculations suggest that even if Omicron causes a less severe hospitalisation rate of 1% or 0.5% compared with Delta’s 1.5%, then “stringent national measures’” would be needed by 18 December at the latest.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:23 pm

Isn't this the report just referred to, with its implausible exponential scenarios?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:15 am

I don't see it as being implausible that case numbers should continue to double at the same rate from a small base for quite some time.

I did see a report in the Times the other day that said that experts were predicting/estimating that if delta continued at current levels, and omicron continued to grow, then by the time two-thirds of cases were omicron, hospital admissions would be double the current level if omicron only resulted in half the level of admissions that delta does. Which is not a prediction or an estimate, it's just simple arithmetic.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:11 am

David Williams wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:15 am
I did see a report in the Times the other day that said that experts were predicting/estimating that if delta continued at current levels, and omicron continued to grow
I thought the experts were predicting that omicron would crowd out other variants, as delta has itself done. Using suitable starting assumptions, simple arithmetic can produce any answer you want.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:57 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:11 am
I thought the experts were predicting that omicron would crowd out other variants, as delta has itself done.
SAGE have said the two variants might co-exist. This piece suggests it could be possible for a person to be infected by both at the same time.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Angus French wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:57 am
SAGE have said the two variants might co-exist. This piece suggests it could be possible for a person to be infected by both at the same time.
I assume that if they had actually found such a person, they would have said so.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:36 am

I'm placing a bet on January 2nd, 2022.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Practically speaking, it needs to be passed by parliament first. And given what happened yesterday, would the PM dare?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:09 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:11 am
David Williams wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:15 am
I did see a report in the Times the other day that said that experts were predicting/estimating that if delta continued at current levels, and omicron continued to grow
I thought the experts were predicting that omicron would crowd out other variants, as delta has itself done. Using suitable starting assumptions, simple arithmetic can produce any answer you want.
Well, there are a lot of people very heavily vaccinated against delta (also previous infections) but with much weaker protection against Omicron (even with boosters). Logically you'd think that would yield conditions to make coexistence reasonably plausible?

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:11 pm

Although the Pfizer booster apparently provides only up to 75% protection against 'infection', the latest indications are that it will provide over 90% protection v severe disease, and that is what really matters.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:28 pm

Interesting discussion/analysis of Omicron with some South African dude, who is predicting it will have a much smaller impact than the projections we are seeing regularly in the media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWrjX1ty2EU