Relationship between CoV-SARS and CoV-SARS-2

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Paul McKeown

Relationship between CoV-SARS and CoV-SARS-2

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:10 am

I recently came across the following article published in Nature: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0771-4#Bib1.

This reminded me of the time when a contributor to this forum attempted to browbeat me into accepting that SARS and the present Covid are one and the same thing:
Covid-19 is SARS. Precisely, it's SARS-2, and killing at close to the same rate. It isn't MERS (a serious killer). And it isn't Ebola (pre-vaccine, lethal)
At the time I referred to another article published in Nature, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0695-z, which included the following quote:
The Coronaviridae Study Group (CSG) of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses, which is responsible for developing the classification of viruses and taxon nomenclature of the family Coronaviridae, has assessed the placement of the human pathogen, tentatively named 2019-nCoV, within the Coronaviridae. Based on phylogeny, taxonomy and established practice, the CSG recognizes this virus as forming a sister clade to the prototype human and bat severe acute respiratory syndrome coronaviruses (SARS-CoVs) of the species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus, and designates it as SARS-CoV-2.
At the time I wrote:
The key words here are "sister clade".

The relationship is thus: a species of coronaviruses which contains strains including the virus which caused SARS, a virus identified as being hosted in bats and this new virus which causes the disease, Covid-19.
This new article makes the point much more strongly. It uses a taxonomy in which SARS-CoV-1, and SARS-CoV-2 are not even strains within the same viral species, but within a sub-genus (thus still closely related, but not so closely as to be regarded as types of the one species).

Moreover, it concludes that the two viruses each have diverged from the parent horseshoe bat sarbecovirus population from 40 to 70 years ago, and last shared a common ancestor perhaps 800 years ago.

I hope this can put away this particular delusion, that SARS and Covid-19 are the same thing, for good.

(Although, it does make the worrying suggestion that there may be more human lethal virus mutations that can have arisen or may arise from the same sarbecovirus population.)

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Relationship between CoV-SARS and CoV-SARS-2

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:30 pm

Tbf quite a few assertions were made in the early days of this pandemic, which don't now stand up to scrutiny.

I doubt if many would claim the above currently.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)