Which style of music don't you like and why?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
JustinHorton

Re: Which style of music don't you like and why?

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:42 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:32 am
So liking white cricketers is not racist, but being ignorant about black music is?

I give up.
That would be a very good idea David, though perhaps it would be better still never to have started.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:09 pm

This thread reminds me of my Music Master when I was a grammar school in the 1960s. When he was on the point of playing us some boring piece of classical music a favourite trick was to ask his opinion on popular/ pop music (which he detested). One day a pupil hit the jackpot by saying "surely Jazz should be taken seriously?". It turned out that Jazz had been invented to "promote lascivious thoughts in the brothels of New Orleans" (I swear he foamed at the mouth when he said this.) I (and most of the class) became instant fans of Jazz.

The spirit of my old music master stalks this thread. Why people dislike certain kinds of music must be one of the least intersting subjects imaginable - who cares what music other people don't like?

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:04 pm

Then there was Doo-Wop. Remember that? No one has mentioned it so far, does that mean everyone likes it? It was played a lot in my house when I was growing up. Earth Angel just popped into my head - the original by The Penguins - I thought it was going to be really obscure but checked out YouTube anyway, and there it was, as good as ever, with 39 million views! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJcGi4-n_Yw

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:56 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:42 pm
David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:32 am
So liking white cricketers is not racist, but being ignorant about black music is?

I give up.
That would be a very good idea David, though perhaps it would be better still never to have started.
Having twice tried and failed to deter or prevent me from expressing my opinions, you are now making a third attempt.

It won't be any more successful than the first two.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:52 pm

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:12 pm

Nobody is being cancelled - one poster has simply suggested others reflect on their words and don't react with hysteria and humbug of which there is plenty. Depriving somebody of a voice is an entirely different matter, and I don't think we should ever forget that.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:48 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:12 pm
Nobody is being cancelled - one poster has simply suggested others reflect on their words and don't react with hysteria and humbug of which there is plenty. Depriving somebody of a voice is an entirely different matter, and I don't think we should ever forget that.
Are you seriously disputing that I have been told (not by you) that my comments are not welcome?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:54 pm

On the basis that all views should be heard, this is a considered opinion from West Texas.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:10 pm

David. You have been advised to post when you have more considered views to contribute that show the intelligence of which you are capable, and which reflect better on you. And frankly I don't know why this upsets you so much. To my mind this debate which escalates all too often into a culture war is simply about showing respect to other cultures. Nobody is being asked or told to embrace those cultures, but to inform themselves before disparaging them. Why is that so difficult? What are people fearful of? The suggestion that all and sundry are being accused of racism is unfounded and hysterical, perhaps you would like to retract it?

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:22 pm

Nick Faulks: you don't really believe all views should be heard or you wouldn't put so much effort into bullying and be-littling other posters so that they are uncomfortable in debate. You may be an intelligent man but you are very short on emotional intelligence.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:54 pm

Are there any other posters here who you think might benefit from your expert psychological assessments? I'm sure they would be most grateful.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:08 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:10 pm
Nobody is being asked or told to embrace those cultures.
Yes they are:
JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:29 pm
Predominantly black music comes up too often in these conversations and comes up too much in a certain way, to be comfortable with it.

J T Melsom wrote:
... but to inform themselves before disparaging them.
I haven't disparaged any culture. I have defended people's right to have their own opinions.

J T Melsom wrote:
What are people fearful of?
J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:22 pm
.... you wouldn't put so much effort into bullying and be-littling other posters so that they are uncomfortable in debate.
That quotation from you encapsulates my concerns exactly. But the threat does not come from Nick.

J T Melsom wrote:
The suggestion that all and sundry are being accused of racism is unfounded and hysterical, perhaps you would like to retract it?
This thread had remained on topic until Justin got involved, so I will leave that issue to him. If he were to state publicly that he was not accusing any contributor to this thread of racism, or that he was not intending to do so, then I would withdraw any suggestion to the contrary.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:15 pm

David, your defence of others having the right to comment however well intentioned is a defence of their right to disparage other cultures. I'd prefer to see less defence of that sort of speech, and more people like Justin suggesting why those views might be problematic. It is important to consider the content of speech and its impact, as well as the general freedom. And this is a common problem here - when Tim Spanton attacked my mental health and that of others, it was my reaction to his posts that drew subsequent comment - few if any saw anything wrong with his actual remarks. It was as if nobody saw any problem. Similar blind spots arise in our community over bullying. Many other communities are making progress in these areas, why can we not do so as well?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:31 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:15 pm
David, your defence of others having the right to comment however well intentioned is a defence of their right to disparage other cultures. I'd prefer to see less defence of that sort of speech, and more people like Justin suggesting why those views might be problematic. It is important to consider the content of speech and its impact, as well as the general freedom.

I think that that brings us neatly back to the following extract from my initial post:
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:04 pm
MJMcCready wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:34 pm
Personally I cannot stand opera at all ...
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:03 pm
I just don't "get" rap ...
Have you not just confirmed that only the first of those opinions is acceptable?

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:41 pm

Not at all. Liking and/or disliking something is perfectly normal. Doing so in a pejorative sense may be problematic. I don't see what is pejorative in Matt's comment as quoted here. I've not read the longer version. The test is perhaps whether the language we use to describe our response to cultures with which we are less familiar is the same as we use of cultures closer to hand. Justin broadened the debate to illustrate this by linking to a piece about disco where the attitudes to the music were impacted by strong negative attitudes to the homosexual community with whom it was popular.

Reflecting overnight I have a genuine sense of puzzlement, because you (David) have previously shared with us an experience of changing behaviour when advised on a visit to Africa that it was culturally inappropriate. So you understand the need for respect and courtesy, yet in this instance would rather defend the right of those to do the opposite. Is it simply that you don't see the posts in that light?