Puzzles

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Paul Habershon

Re: Puzzles

Post by Paul Habershon » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:39 am

Roland Kensdale wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:27 pm
Wordle bought by New York Times, may not always be free, one story: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technol ... NewsSearch
Reporting on this BBC 1 national 6 o'clock news yesterday inadvertently(?) revealed the Wordle word of the day six hours before the close.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:17 am

Kevin Williamson wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:44 pm
Are any other forum members hooked on Wordle?
I've done it for the last 5 days, with all 5 solved. It's now time for me to retire, I think. I'm very unlikely to improve on today (5 Feb) when I got the word at the second attempt.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:33 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:17 am
Kevin Williamson wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:44 pm
Are any other forum members hooked on Wordle?
I've done it for the last 5 days, with all 5 solved. It's now time for me to retire, I think. I'm very unlikely to improve on today (5 Feb) when I got the word at the second attempt.
On social media some people have muted friends who post their Wordle score, so at the risk of being tedious I say I have played 24 and failed once, choosing JERKY instead of PERKY on the sixth and final attempt. My 23 'wins' have been nil on first guess, one (PROXY) on the second, eight on third, ten on fourth, four on fifth, nil on sixth. Longest winning streak:15.

The game is much easier with no time control built in. I am not convinced that the New York Times has got a bargain. I certainly won't subscribe if it starts charging for access.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:58 pm

Roland Kensdale wrote:
Wordle bought by New York Times, may not always be free, one story: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technol ... NewsSearch
It would be pretty easy to create something similar, as Susie Dent mentioned. The software itself may be copyright, but would copyright apply to someone writing their own software to achieve the same result? Any learned friends out there who can give an opinion?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:24 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:58 pm
Roland Kensdale wrote:
It would be pretty easy to create something similar, as Susie Dent mentioned. The software itself may be copyright, but would copyright apply to someone writing their own software to achieve the same result?
I'd have thought any new claims to rights over the idea would be difficult when there's a 1980s TV show, recently revived, with a similar game.