Talk Radio

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Paul Robert Jackson

Talk Radio

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:28 pm

YouTube has removed Talk Radio's channel from its platform.

"The Google-owned service has not given an explanation for its action, but there is speculation that it relates to its rules on Covid-19-related misinformation.
Fact-checkers have repeatedly challenged some of the claims made by interviewees featured by the London-based radio station."
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55544205

There is a link to the service on the ECF Website.
www.englishchess.org.uk/malcolm-pein-ta ... talk-radio
NOTHING TO DO WITH THESE CONCERNS THOUGH
Paul Robert Jackson

NickFaulks

Re: Talk Radio

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:42 pm

It is clear that something rather sinister has happened, but I have heard that they will be back tomorrow.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:26 am

They're back, but it was a warning shot for anyone who dares to question official statistics, or the absence thereof.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:51 am

They're not people who "dare question", they're screaming idiots and cynics who live by provocation and misinformation. Nobody else is obliged to provide them with space for what they do.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:13 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:51 am
they're screaming idiots and cynics who live by provocation and misinformation.
Thanks for that Justin, but your attitude towards anyone whose views differ from your own is already well enough established on this forum.

Just to be clear, you're saying Kate Hoey and Graham Brady are screaming idiots?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:27 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:13 am
JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:51 am
they're screaming idiots and cynics who live by provocation and misinformation.
Thanks for that Justin, but your attitude towards anyone whose views differ from your own is already well enough established on this forum.

Just to be clear, you're saying Kate Hoey and Graham Brady are screaming idiots?
Kate Hoey is certainly a cynic.

Really we need to distinguish "anyone whose views differ from your own" from "people who professionally peddle misinformation" and failing to tell those two things apart does you no credit at all, Nick.

TalkRadio are not obliged to provide me with a platform and YouTube are not obliged to provide TalkRadio with a platform. This is basic and quite unexceptional, as indeed is the principle set out here. Societies do not in fact let absolutely anybody say absolutely anything absolutely anywhere they want, there are good reasons for this which in fact we all understand and people who want to pretend this is a frightening state of censorship want to try living in one and seeing if they can tell the difference.

I am quite disinterested in listening to professional provcateurs shrieking that they are being oppressed whenever somebody else decides their falsehoods are not worthy of publication, an extremely tiresome grift well described in the cartoon below.

"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:54 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:27 am
Really we need to distinguish "anyone whose views differ from your own" from "people who professionally peddle misinformation"
I fear you are incapable of doing that.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:04 am

Well I dunno, Nick, maybe see who I say I disagree with and see who I think YouTube shouldn't feel obliged to publish.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:51 am

Talk Radio wasn't banned from broadcasting by a regulatory authority. It was denied access to a privately owned platform. Talk Radio isn't an advocate of pluralism in debate and nor is Nick Faulks. Nick believes David Gauke should be barred from Conservative Home for being the wrong sort of conservative, or 'daring to question'.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:11 pm

One remembers Kate Hoey lying her head off on a boat on the Thames in 2016, propagandising how British fisheries would gain the world, when free of the European Union.

The following interviews by the BBC SW Political Editor show the scales falling from the eyes of one particular fish merchant, as he has come to the realisation that in the Brexiter's new world, he can't sell his fish any more to France, without dying in paperwork and taxation that didn't previously exist, and having to provide extreme indemnities to commercial hauliers, nor can he sell his fish elsewhere, not even in the UK, whose consumers have different tastes to the French.

https://twitter.com/bbcmartynoates/stat ... 9027065856

One might be angry at the fish merchant for consistently voting for his own ruin, but one should reserve that anger for those cynics who consistently lied to him, knowing that the man would be ruined, but for whom their utopian visions were to be promoted whatever the cost

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:12 pm

Meanwhile, almost nothing in this thread has anything to do with chess, and I would ask the Mods to move it where it belongs.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:13 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:51 am
Nick believes David Gauke should be barred from Conservative Home for being the wrong sort of conservative
At the last General Election he stood as an independent, against the Conservative candidate. He has every right to express his opinions, and he does this in many places. I just don't see why he is given so much space in Conservative Home which, as the name suggests, is specifically a website for Conservatives.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:19 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:12 pm
Meanwhile, almost nothing in this thread has anything to do with chess, and I would ask the Mods to move it where it belongs.
I thought it was always in General Chat. Either way it is now.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:35 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:19 pm
I thought it was always in General Chat. Either way it is now.
The place for non-chess content on this forum is labelled "Not Chess!"
Surprisingly enough.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:56 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:35 pm
The place for non-chess content on this forum is labelled "Not Chess!"
Surprisingly enough.
Ah, General Chat implies chess. I had actually failed to grasp that.