COVid19-What's wrong with UK?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
soheil_hooshdaran

Re: COVid19-What's wrong with UK?

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:25 pm

poor means weak?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:45 pm

yes

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed May 06, 2020 7:15 am

In Iran, around 20 days to our Norouz, we started advertising "Stay home, stay alive". it is still advertised by the government, although many businesses opened up. Is that the case in the UK too?

Jon Tait

Post by Jon Tait » Wed May 06, 2020 8:54 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:55 am
Hello.
Why has COVid 19 become so wide-spread in UK?
because we have a bunch of complete bellends in government, "led" by the most useless fathead ever to occupy no.10
blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed May 06, 2020 11:29 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:15 am
In Iran, around 20 days to our Norouz, we started advertising "Stay home, stay alive". it is still advertised by the government, although many businesses opened up. Is that the case in the UK too?
We have something very similar -"Stay home, save the NHS, save lives". Our lockdown is probably stronger than yours (most businesses closed) but weaker than others in Western Europe (we are allowed to do more exercise). Possible as a consequence we are 'recovering' more slowly than they are, and now more than twice as many are dying each day in the UK compared to any other European country.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (108.58 KiB) Viewed 1408 times

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed May 06, 2020 1:42 pm

We are paying the price for dithering in the initial stages, not least due to the Cummings tendency whose "galaxy brained" idea then was for as many people as possible to get it right away (to "preserve the economy", you see)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed May 06, 2020 2:21 pm

However, we do not know how different countries count the deaths (whether all sources, or hospitals only), so comparison with other countries is pointless at present. I'm surprised that my fellow Old Reigatian Keir Starmer doesn't watch the daily press conference, or he would know that.

Another problem was believing Ferguson when he's been hideously wrong twice before, and who gives advice, without knowing how immunity might work in this case...

(Starmer is leader of the opposing political party in case Soheil doesn't know!)

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Wed May 06, 2020 2:44 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:21 pm
However, we do not know how different countries count the deaths (whether all sources, or hospitals only), so comparison with other countries is pointless at present. I'm surprised that my fellow Old Reigatian Keir Starmer doesn't watch the daily press conference, or he would know that. [snip]
i'm not sure about pointless. Explaining how the UK did better than Germany and Netherlands will be interesting.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed May 06, 2020 3:01 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:21 pm
Another problem was believing Ferguson when he's been hideously wrong twice before, and who gives advice, without knowing how immunity might work in this case...
And he's now had to quit saying
I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms
:roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed May 06, 2020 3:10 pm

A top scientist reduced to relying on belief!?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed May 06, 2020 4:23 pm

I was aware of Ferguson's fate when making the comment!

Nobody knows yet if you get immunity by getting the nasty virus, so it's a silly assumption to make (especially) on his part. It is almost always the case that it is better to be guided by the science than be guided by your mistress.

Obviously, we want to see figures of sufferers and deaths (and think how awful the numbers are), but if you are not comparing like with like, it's foolish to try to compare them. Starmer should know that. This is not anti-Labour, I'm sure the current Government has got things wrong in this outbreak, but I'm equally sure that any Government would have made mistakes. The mistakes are all there waiting to be made...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ is interesting. For example, Russia has reported nearly 11000 new cases today, but "only" 86 deaths. Are we expecting a surge? How are they counting deaths?

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed May 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:23 pm
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ is interesting. For example, Russia has reported nearly 11000 new cases today, but "only" 86 deaths. Are we expecting a surge? How are they counting deaths?
Some countries, such as UK and others in Western Europe, initially only tested those with symptoms in hospitals . They have more than 10% of "cases" resulting in death. Others countries, such as South Korea and New Zealand, tested many others so their fatality rate is below 3% (and they have been very successful at surpressing the epidemic, only 19 deaths in total in New Zealand). That might be what Russia are doing. Also, in the early exponential growth phase of the epidemic in any country the deaths lag behind the cases by about 3 weeks. Cases in Russia are still doubling every 10 days.

ps https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/ present the data in an interesting way.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed May 06, 2020 5:18 pm

Don't they say it can spread via droplets in the air? 'How do you exercise?
People in my city of Shiraz` stayed at home for less than 2 months and are still practicing hygiene, and then reopened with caution. Now the daily cases are still below 50, after it had got under 10.

You also can do that...

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed May 06, 2020 8:12 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:18 pm
Don't they say it can spread via droplets in the air? 'How do you exercise?
People in my city of Shiraz` stayed at home for less than 2 months and are still practicing hygiene, and then reopened with caution. Now the daily cases are still below 50, after it had got under 10.

You also can do that...
The UK government decide on a 'weaker' lock down than some but has a 2m distancing rule whether for supermarkets and their queues or for those out walking/running/cycling. Outside busy parts of towns and cities it is not difficult to keep more than 2m apart. But how long it will take us to get down to 50 from 600 waits to be seen.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed May 06, 2020 8:18 pm

"Outside busy parts of towns and cities it is not difficult to keep more than 2m apart."

Yes - we can take the dog for a walk on the moors and not meet anyone. But going to the village shop is difficult, locals have devised the technique of passing each other in narrow corridors facing away from each other!