Semi-Final Draw

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
MartinCarpenter

Re: Semi-Final Draw

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:13 am

No problem. It seems like Kent defaulted(!) their semi Vs Lancs, so a Roses clash for the final.

Maybe some story behind it but it doesn't precisely encourage regarding the competitions ongoing health.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:30 am

Some matches being played today. I think the remaining u160 and u140 semis.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:01 pm

Here is the result from yesterday Yorkshire v Surrey Open match

http://www.oxfordfusion.com/oca/ViewCup ... ot=1&Org=4

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:28 pm

In the Devon v Surrey U180 only a few early draws and many games went into the 5th hour. Devon winning 8.5-7.5.
A great venue & fantastic weather for analysing outside. The only thing missing was a Devon cream tea.

Surrey players were hoping for a final in memory of Keith Richardson. Perhaps Middlesex can win in memory of George Dickson?

Best wishes to all in the finals.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:13 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:No problem. It seems like Kent defaulted(!) their semi Vs Lancs, so a Roses clash for the final.

Maybe some story behind it but it doesn't precisely encourage regarding the competitions ongoing health.
I thought Richard Bates told us on the preceding page that I would think the chances of Lancashire beating Kent (who appear to be trying this year) are virtually non-existent.. They obviously didn't have a strong and stable team.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:No problem. It seems like Kent defaulted(!) their semi Vs Lancs, so a Roses clash for the final.

I thought Richard Bates told us on the preceding page that I would think the chances of Lancashire beating Kent (who appear to be trying this year) are virtually non-existent.. They obviously didn't have a strong and stable team.
Apparently it clashed with a Richard Haddrell memorial which obviously had a significant impact.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:24 pm

In the u140 Lancashire defeated Worcestershire on board count (31 to 33). I did my best to help Worcs by losing my game. Sort of recognition from Alex H: "Thanks for trying to help us win - but not quite good enough". Not sure how I could have done anymore :-(

In the u160 Lancashire defeated Middlesex (I think it was - I was concentrating on helping Worcs). Sorry, don't have a score!

Anyway, Lancs has three teams in the finals. Splendid!
Last edited by Michael Farthing on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:27 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:

Apparently it clashed with a Richard Haddrell memorial which obviously had a significant impact.
The date of the ECF semi-finals have been known for months in fact years (since 2016) - embarrassingly it looks as if SCCU participation in the finals might be limited to four teams, two of which will contest the U120 final.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:38 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:In the u140 Lancashire defeated Worcestershire on board count (31 to 33). I did my best to help Worcs by losing my game. Sort of recognition from Alex H: "Thanks for trying to help us win - but not quite good enough". Not sure how I could have done anymore :-(
It could have been so much different if our penultimate player to finish had found this finish.

He had been losing by at least two pawns for much of the afternoon, and had somehow managed to swap off the K-side pawns and win a race to get his promotion on f1 just as white got his promotion on h8. Delighted to save a draw in such circumstances, the game finished Ne7+ Kg7 Nf5+ 1/2-1/2.

However, there's a win for black which I sort of spotted at the time. Much easier from my vantage point, of course. I got as far as the 11... Qg6 in this sequence in my head, but the game was agreed a draw before I could get any further with it. :(

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:39 pm

I'll let someone else start a 'Finals Day' thread when all the finalists are known.

A summary for now:

Open Yorkshire v Lancashire
Minor Suffolk v Lincolnshire
U180 Devon v Middlesex
U160 Lancashire v Yorkshire
U140 Nottinghamshire v Lancashire
U120 Middlesex v Essex
U100 Leicestershire v Warwickshire

(N.B. Not all the results above have been confirmed by the competition controller yet. Some are only based on rumours and posts to this forum, apologies if they turn out to be incorrect! Neil will be busily summarising how many finalists are from each regional union!)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Wow, that is an amazing combination, Alex.
Classic staircase and queen and knight combining to force mate.
(pedantic note: the 18.Kf8 line is slightly longer)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:(pedantic note: the 18.Kf8 line is slightly longer)
Well, 18. Kf8 Qd8+ and the white Queen falls. It might be longer, but the ending seemed more obvious!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:54 pm

I was thinking 19.Be8 in that line but that leads to mate. It is mate or loss of the queen from that initial position, which is impressive.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I was thinking 19.Be8 in that line but that leads to mate. It is mate or loss of the queen from that initial position, which is impressive.
Ah yes, Be8 - missed that!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Also, Instead of 2.Kg7, what about 2.Kh6? Then, the black queen has to step onto the 'staircase' via h3 and c3! If 2.Kh7, then 3.Qf5+ immediately, which is boring. No staircase at all.