Quarter Final Draw

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Graham Borrowdale

Re: Quarter Final Draw

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Bedfordshire played Cornwall a couple of years ago at Weston super Mare - even Bristol is not half way :(
It is a shame about the low number of entries for the Open. It seems that counties, or their regional unions, would rather play in the Minor Counties than try their luck at the higher level - something which does not happen in many other sports.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:57 pm

On the Open / Minor Counties & trying to get 8 into Open in future years it may be beneficial to consider the Football Champions League / Europa League... Open has 8 including Minor Counties & if they lose go into the Minor Counties.

I certainly agree with Graham, all the sports I have played trying to win at the highest level we can.

On Surrey's U180s we are looking forward to having a match in June & comparing to previous midway venues - Open University or somewhere around Salisbury. On Middlesex nice to see back in - hopefully our SCCU stage next season back up to 5 or more.

Some U160s thought they were going to qualify from the SCCU tables until before the last round match the tie break situation was such that we were highly unlikely to qualify.

Not sure why hangup with 4NCL which is over 5 weekends (unless separate) as many players do both.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:Bedfordshire played Cornwall a couple of years ago at Weston super Mare - even Bristol is not half way :(
It is a shame about the low number of entries for the Open. It seems that counties, or their regional unions, would rather play in the Minor Counties than try their luck at the higher level - something which does not happen in many other sports.

do you think that maybe it is the time to look at the county championship again?
I know there is a market for it, but the 4ncl has over took the county championship, just look at the north of England?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Why look at it again?
In the South & Elsewhere including the North players play both 4NCL & County Championship.
Even in the South, Middlesex asked for an option in the U180s & got it. That is better than 2 byes.
Some of those up North also play their league chess at the weekends, whereas in the South it is mid-week evenings.
Ok with a bye to the semi's where we deserve it.

As much has been made of the County boundaries it was nice to read on the way home about the County Cricket proposals v the T20 Big Bash type tournaments. That 25% promotion & relegation from the 2 tier County Cricket 4 day format. Because of new tournament which very much sounds like the cricket format we had at school in an afternoon's sport.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Nick Grey wrote:Some of those up North also play their league chess at the weekends, whereas in the South it is mid-week evenings.
That's mostly a function of county size. The Devon League is also played at weekends.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:12 am

I am at least a bit comforted to hear that Lancashire are definitely fielding an Open team this time round :)

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:56 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:I am at least a bit comforted to hear that Lancashire are definitely fielding an Open team this time round :)
Did the preliminary match in the U160s between Lancashire and Sussex take place - it was due to be played this weekend.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:I am at least a bit comforted to hear that Lancashire are definitely fielding an Open team this time round :)
Did the preliminary match in the U160s between Lancashire and Sussex take place - it was due to be played this weekend.
I'll answer my own question - win for Lancashire by 10.5-5.5 - Sussex conceding the bottom two boards by default. The Oxford Fusion site is up and running.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:58 pm

result

I assume Peter Barlass was cleared to play, even though he's not on the list on the ECF site
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:25 pm

I hope so! Having a 10.5 - 5.5 reversed to something like -10 vs 6 - or whatever it works out at! - would be really absurd.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:45 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:I hope so! Having a 10.5 - 5.5 reversed to something like -10 vs 6 - or whatever it works out at! - would be really absurd.
As the result is shown as "confirmed" by Andrew Zigmond, the event Controller, one assumes all is in order.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:44 pm

As only one game in 12 months in May 2016 for same team & he lost. He may even be eligible for any Lower teams?
Hopefully throw the non-ECF registration penalty at national stages at them as not sure why the rest of us ought to pay it!

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed May 10, 2017 11:41 pm

Essex beat Norfolk by 9-3 in the first U120 quarter-final to be reported.

http://www.oxfordfusion.com/oca/ViewCup ... ot=4&Org=4

I have asked for a link from the main ECF site otherwise unless you are in the know, the results are not easily accessible.

Andrew Hammond

Post by Andrew Hammond » Thu May 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:Bedfordshire played Cornwall a couple of years ago at Weston super Mare - even Bristol is not half way :(
Not the mighty Kent! but we are blessed with a good number of higher rated players 180-220 range who are eager to play in County matches.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat May 13, 2017 9:05 pm

benedgell wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:The two remaining draws are as follows:-

MINOR COUNTIES

Quarter 2 Cornwall vs Leicestershire
Going to be interesting trying to find a reasonable mid- point venue for that match.
We played in Mark in Somerset. Leicestershire won 14½ - 1½. Credit both captains for getting 16 players willing to travel such a distance.