County duel brand

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Andrew Zigmond

Re: County duel brand

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:09 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote: True. Would be a good addition if they did though!
It'd be slightly tricky in some ways anyway - I'm fairly sure that the only real interest in the Open competition in Yorkshire relates to its status as a team containing 'everyone' from round the county. Much more than enough 'general' chess.

However a full strength Yorkshire open team would obviously rather tend to squash minor county level competition. A pure friendly vs GM is a little more tempting as there'd be less travel and it'd be (more than?) a proper test if some of the 3C's people joined in.
That would be excellent, maybe we could get Alan Walton to captain both teams :wink:
Not sure who would be captaining the Yorkshire teams, although I'm sure the committee would be delighted if Martin wants to volunteer.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:45 pm

I'd be an extremely bad county captain! York A is easy - they'd mostly turn up even if I did nothing at all :) County chess you have to really chase/bully people which is entirely beyond my skills.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:29 pm

Andrew will be an excellent captain.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote:Alex, do you regard it as acceptable that the National Counties Championship is so structured that two particular counties are guaranteed a place in the National Stages every year while other counties have to compete for a place?
Having been suitably boxed into a corner... :wink:

Let me answer the question in a rather roundabout way. If I were running an English County Championship, starting tomorrow, then this would probably be the format.

Everyone would send an entry form and the money to the ECF, and the ECF would then look at however many counties have entered a section, and put them in regional groups of, say, 4-6 county teams. But you'd aim for 2 or 4 (or maybe even 8 ) groups.

At the end of the regional groups, the winners (or maybe top 2) would qualify for the Knockout stage, which would proceed as normal.

So you wouldn't have the Union stage at all, which I think would have advantages:
(1) The Greater Manchester joining the NCCU issue would be something we can move on from
(2) You are guaranteed a reasonable number of group matches, so (say) Lancashire and Yorkshire might end up in a group with counties like Greater Manchester, Derbyshire or Lincolnshire. And this would retain the current situation where you have relatively minimal travelling, too.

I think that format would be superior to the existing format, but the Union turkeys aren't going to vote for Christmas.

As long as we have a Union structure, then I don't see the problem can be solved.

Maybe it time to Shake up the County chess Scene???
and maybe you do it that for 4 groups and that it just played to an semi final stage!!

I always hear at the Lancashire agm that all the teams reached the national stages, but the President of the Lancashire AGM love to twist the facts!
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:29 am

Especially about a game of chess.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:26 pm

Lol

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:32 pm

Alex's idea. Interesting the Union boundaries are the problem. .
Union boundaries do change. Like Parliamentry Boundaries.
e.g.
Hampshire was SCCU.
There was an attempt to create, as per Regional county boundaries (akin to Merseyside) an East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire County team. (Not a good idea to split Yorkshire, that would have been worse than Greater Manchester 1974 onwards)

I opposed the creation of the EACU for the County finals [even though I now play in it]. Because of the Cambridge Univ in the SCCU (who I played matches against) ,and Cambridgeshire in EACU). I said there will be eligibilty issues. But, I was assured Cambridge Univ would only field Univ players. Cambridgeshire none from the University. I opposed the idea that the EACU will never play in the Finals stages, as Sandy Corden said they are too weak. I said they will, and it would need a preliminary round, as then we would have five Unions taking part. I said there will be day that they play the County Championship Finals.
We still had adjudications and appeals then, so we had only days to prepare for the preliminary rounds. Many things have changed e.g. with results on the day nowadays.
Alex's idea needs looking at. The lower parts of Yorkshire were 7 hours round trips of driving going to Cumbria and Northumberland,
The part MCCU and NCCU is possible. Derbyshire players play in Yorkshire leagues and vice versa. The reliatity is that the NCCU has heavily shrunk.
Northamptonshire players, they play in the EACU. MCCU is east and west split as well. etc

rgds GK

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:39 am

When I played for Bradford, the player next to me, or near me was often Alan Walton.(Bradford Latvian club).
Keighley cc used to have players from Nelson and Colne.
You get similar on many county borders, including when I was at East Grinstead, East Grinstead cc players, playing for Kent. etc. West Sussex players, playing for Hampshire-etc

Yorkshire only plays qualified players in its team.
Yorkshire chess is on the way back-up, just like the cricket.
If some of the northern MCCU teams played in a combined NCCU, it would help attract more northerly counties playing for non wooden spoon positions. Increases the chess activity, at u xxx levels as well.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote:Alex, do you regard it as acceptable that the National Counties Championship is so structured that two particular counties are guaranteed a place in the National Stages every year while other counties have to compete for a place?
Having been suitably boxed into a corner... :wink:

Let me answer the question in a rather roundabout way. If I were running an English County Championship, starting tomorrow, then this would probably be the format.

Everyone would send an entry form and the money to the ECF, and the ECF would then look at however many counties have entered a section, and put them in regional groups of, say, 4-6 county teams. But you'd aim for 2 or 4 (or maybe even 8 ) groups.

At the end of the regional groups, the winners (or maybe top 2) would qualify for the Knockout stage, which would proceed as normal.

So you wouldn't have the Union stage at all, which I think would have advantages:
(1) The Greater Manchester joining the NCCU issue would be something we can move on from
(2) You are guaranteed a reasonable number of group matches, so (say) Lancashire and Yorkshire might end up in a group with counties like Greater Manchester, Derbyshire or Lincolnshire. And this would retain the current situation where you have relatively minimal travelling, too.

I think that format would be superior to the existing format, but the Union turkeys aren't going to vote for Christmas.

As long as we have a Union structure, then I don't see the problem can be solved.

i do think this idea would work at there was 17 teams who ented the Open and minor County event last year (you decided who wanted to play in which section and then instead of playing 5 matches just to qualify (some don't bother or just play one) you might have more minor teams who might enter up in the north/Midlands areas?