Imposing Rules for the sake of it

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Roger de Coverly

Imposing Rules for the sake of it

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed May 04, 2016 9:27 am

The Minor Counties competition is an open competition with no restrictions on the grades of individual players. There is however a rule which requires the average grade to be tested against a maximum. Pragmatically if an ungraded player is fielded, it should only be a rule infringement if such a player doesn't push the average above the limit.

That's wasn't Cornwall's experience in putting an ungraded player in on bottom board in a recent match. They were heavily outgraded, lost the match and suffered the indignity of a penalty point as well.

http://www.oxfordfusion.com/oca/ViewCup ... ot=2&Org=4

MartinCarpenter

Re: Imposing Rules for the sake of it

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed May 04, 2016 9:46 am

It does seem a bit over the top, but its fully in line with previous years. As I remember the rules are written such that the controllers have no discretion at all, so they feel obliged to do this.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed May 04, 2016 10:37 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:[Cornwall] were heavily outgraded, lost the match and suffered the indignity of a penalty point as well.
Three years ago the enforcement of a rule at the Semi Final stage resulted in the outcome of a close match being reversed. One of the points made by the affected side on appeal was that the rule had not been enforced in earlier rounds (when the outcome would not have been affected).

Rightly or wrongly, teams have to obtain clearance and an estimated grade for ungraded players. The action taken in this instance serves as a useful reminder to teams still in the competition.

The player has not been penalised. The result stands for grading purposes.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu May 05, 2016 10:06 pm

It's in the rules & clear. All the captains ought to follow - as it has been sent to them. Some captains may be following old rules.
Fortunately I have David In my team to remind me. Surrey have these items clarified at our meetings. Andrew Z has been very helpful In clarifying my queries.

James Hooker

Post by James Hooker » Fri May 06, 2016 1:46 am

not only that, but our board 4's tyre blew out on the motorway, so we were playing 1-0 down from the start!

I expect our captain missed that he was ineligible, the player had played 2 previous Cornwall county matches this season. (Cornwall A v Somerset A, and Cornwall B v Devon B)

its hard enough just getting together a 16 player team from our limited pool of players to travel the 7 hour round trip!

EDIT - interestingly, we qualified last year for the knockout stages, and in our match v Bedfordshire we again played an ungraded player on bottom board. we lost 11-5 in that game with no deduction. I guess we must have registered him before, but he doesn't show up on the team sheet as having an estimated grade?

http://www.oxfordfusion.com/oca/ViewCup ... ot=8&Org=4

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri May 06, 2016 10:03 am

James Hooker wrote:not only that, but our board 4's tyre blew out on the motorway, so we were playing 1-0 down from the start!

I expect our captain missed that he was ineligible, the player had played 2 previous Cornwall county matches this season. (Cornwall A v Somerset A, and Cornwall B v Devon B)

its hard enough just getting together a 16 player team from our limited pool of players to travel the 7 hour round trip!

EDIT - interestingly, we qualified last year for the knockout stages, and in our match v Bedfordshire we again played an ungraded player on bottom board. we lost 11-5 in that game with no deduction. I guess we must have registered him before, but he doesn't show up on the team sheet as having an estimated grade?

http://www.oxfordfusion.com/oca/ViewCup ... ot=8&Org=4
Your board 16 was shown on the 2014/15 "cleared player" list with an estimated grade of 125 so there would have been no problem in playing him in the team.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri May 06, 2016 9:28 pm

Clearance each season on estimates.