2016 draw

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Michael Farthing

Re: 2016 draw

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:15 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Alan,
Again, you really do talk some *******

You have clearly missed the point of my post... AGAIN.
If someone is missing the point of your post, does not that suggest that you have a problem communicating it?

I still have no idea what your point(s) is. But I do have to say I tend to get a bit bored half way through and my attention lapses.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:33 pm

Neil Graham wrote:May I respectfully suggest that the (mostly) three-way conversation about the situation in Manchester be carried out on a separate thread? It has nothing to do with the 2016 draw/results.

In respect of Manchester competing in any Union competition whether NCCU or MCCU - this will not happen until you have people in place that are both able and capable of running county teams at whatever level. What happened in 1975 or indeed any year since or who held what post when is immaterial if you cannot find anyone to take responsibility in 2016/2017.
You might well be right Neil..
This came about partly because Mike Truran commentated about the challenges of the current counties competitions, (particularly the Open, Minor, and U180 events), and asked for views.
We`ve probably said enough now, and hopefully Urmston, the MCF, MCCU, and NCCU/Lancs can come to mutually acceptable terms to take matters forward.
I certainly hope so.
My latest comments were intended as a brief summary of what points I thought needed to be addressed. Others will have there own views and input to put to various meetings.
I know the MCCU AGM will take place tomorrow, so maybe some points will be raised there by the delegates...
One pertinent question for the MCCU is whether they can muster more teams for the Open section, perhaps. Certainly, the combined Open/Minor Qualification competition seems to work ok...but it would be good if the MCCU could command a greater presence in the Open National Stages...
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:20 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Ihor Lewyk wrote:Mr Pardoe is quick to volunteer people to various posts. Perhaps it is time to volunteer himself if he wants things doing the way he wants.
here here

or maybe Mr Pardoe would love to captain an Senior team and put them in the future invite that will be coming to the MCF meeting!!
Well, neither the invite nor Mr Pardoe came to the AGM this afternoon, although I did get to express my view of him to the meeting :wink:

None of his club Stockport turned up, not sure if they sent apologies, but they join (currently) Marple, Denton & Heywood as filling no MCF posts, as well as Worsley now the webmaster has resigned

The good news is we have a new webmaster (so, that's 1 family having 2 more MCF posts than 5 clubs combined - indeed, if you tolerate this, then your children will be next :lol: ), and a new auditor too - and 2 other vacant posts have been abolished and we have 12 months notice of 2 resignations to come

Home teams can now insist on incremental time controls :D

Vacancies remain Gen Sec, Open Captain or League Team Captain though
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:05 am

MCF AGM Photos

With comedian Bill Bailey among those looking on :lol:

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:55 am

So what is the position with Manchester County team entries for 2016/17?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:07 pm

Neil Graham wrote:So what is the position with Manchester County team entries for 2016/17?
Our u160 captain was re-elected, there were no other candidates , so I assume it will be 1 team again, unless an Open captain can be found in the next few weeks

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:26 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:So what is the position with Manchester County team entries for 2016/17?
Our u160 captain was re-elected, there were no other candidates , so I assume it will be 1 team again, unless an Open captain can be found in the next few weeks
Firstly can I go back to a point raised by Mr.Pardoe a little while ago. In respect of the MCCU, the rules have been changed so all county first teams have to play in the Union Competition in future. They can opt for an Open/Minor place at the end of December. This prevents the Staffordshire fiasco of 2015-16 re-occurring (one hopes).

Let us move on now to the situation in 2016/17. Manchester cannot find a first team captain so therefore will not compete in anything (other than the U160) - so all the discussion initiated by Mr.Pardoe previously in this thread is redundant. Similarly there will be no Manchester U140, U120 or U100 teams either. A cursory glance at the Manchester Chess Federation website showed for 2015/16, for example, over 50 players graded between 119 & 100 (I gave up counting at 50) eligible for an Under 120 team of 12 boards and no doubt a similar situation will be in place for the forthcoming year. I've repeated many times on this forum that the major problem for local chess (and in particular the Counties Championship) is a lack of volunteers to actually take on organising. The MCCU Counties Controller reported at the AGM noted that the number of county teams had fallen to a new all-time low in 2015/6. This reflects not any significant down turn in players but the usual inability to recruit captains.

Can I emphasise that this isn't just a Manchester problem it's endemic across English chess - there are plenty of other counties who are unable to field County teams not because of lack of players but because of apathy/inability to organise.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Neil Graham wrote:A cursory glance at the Manchester Chess Federation website showed for 2015/16, for example, over 50 players graded between 119 & 100 (I gave up counting at 50) eligible for an Under 120 team of 12 boards
A cursory glance doesn't necessarily tell you how many of those eligible actually play for other counties, let alone how many might be interested in playing county chess involving a journey to Newcastle-under-Lyme (or Holmes Chapel) at a minimum

I'm not aware that G Man have ever fielded teams lower than the U150, and I think it is unlikely we ever will - I have had discussions with players who have played for the u160 team yet themselves are u120 or u140 about forming a team, but no-one has yet decided to have a go

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:59 pm

I share your concern Neil..
Too many people seem to look for reasons not to do things in chess. Its very easy to criticise any events, activities, or group initiatives.. as was demonstrated by the EU referendum. So easy for zillions to think of reasons why the EU was to blame for all societies ailes..??

But regarding the county chess scene, I`d like to see some positive efforts by many of our counties to raise teams at the various grade groups.
I`ve said this about the NCCU.. why cant Merseyside (for example), put out a team in the U160 or U140 or other sections.
These are very good 16 board team events. Our county bodies should put out more positive messages....to encourage more participation.
Was anything said at the MCCU AGM about this..?

Manchester celebrates its 125th year this season, I believe. No mention of any celebratory matches or events at the AGM as far as I know..
We`ll see, but a 50 board all grades match with Merseyside might not go amiss, if interest can be found... and space in our calander.
Maybe a half way house at Holmes Chapel would be good...
BRING BACK THE BCF

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:A cursory glance at the Manchester Chess Federation website showed for 2015/16, for example, over 50 players graded between 119 & 100 (I gave up counting at 50) eligible for an Under 120 team of 12 boards
A cursory glance doesn't necessarily tell you how many of those eligible actually play for other counties, let alone how many might be interested in playing county chess involving a journey to Newcastle-under-Lyme (or Holmes Chapel) at a minimum

I'm not aware that G Man have ever fielded teams lower than the U150, and I think it is unlikely we ever will - I have had discussions with players who have played for the u160 team yet themselves are u120 or u140 about forming a team, but no-one has yet decided to have a go

I was Captain of the 100 team when david kierman was the u150 captain that won the u150 event many moon ago

also david Holt was the u125 captain as well!!
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:19 pm

David Pardoe wrote:I share your concern Neil..
Too many people seem to look for reasons not to do things in chess. Its very easy to criticise any events, activities, or group initiatives.. as was demonstrated by the EU referendum. So easy for zillions to think of reasons why the EU was to blame for all societies ailes..??

But regarding the county chess scene, I`d like to see some positive efforts by many of our counties to raise teams at the various grade groups.
I`ve said this about the NCCU.. why cant Merseyside (for example), put out a team in the U160 or U140 or other sections.
These are very good 16 board team events. Our county bodies should put out more positive messages....to encourage more participation.
Was anything said at the MCCU AGM about this..?

Manchester celebrates its 125th year this season, I believe. No mention of any celebratory matches or events at the AGM as far as I know..
We`ll see, but a 50 board all grades match with Merseyside might not go amiss, if interest can be found... and space in our calander.
Maybe a half way house at Holmes Chapel would be good...
I understand what you are saying but at the same time, why Holmes Chapel, you could find somewhere in Warrington that would suit both party if this went ahead!!

Also it I?s easy to suggest stuff on the forum, but you could offer to captain one of the county team as well as an MCF league team if you wanted

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:35 pm

You`re right about Warrington John.. if a suitable venue could be found.
As for volunteering to be Manchester captain.. I`ve done that on several occasions over the past 15 years or so, for both the Open and our U160 team.
This forum is for discussion of ideas.. If you want Carl to set up a new `Volunteers` section, I`m sure that could be arranged.
If so, then I`d suggest that clubs, leagues, counties, and Unions could use it to advertise any posts that need filling, with a brief description of the posts.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:38 pm

John Reyes wrote:I was Captain of the 100 team when david kierman was the u150 captain that won the u150 event many moon ago

Ok, that was 15 years ago then - I think I started playing county chess under Dave Kierman, he certainly was enthusiastic and knew how to engender team spirit, which was important

If you or (nearly) anyone else wanted to have a go at forming a county team, I can't think there would be any objections

Not easy to see where an Open captain is coming from, it would probably need a strong player from Stockport and they don't seem interested

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
John Reyes wrote:I was Captain of the 100 team when david kierman was the u150 captain that won the u150 event many moon ago

Ok, that was 15 years ago then - I think I started playing county chess under Dave Kierman, he certainly was enthusiastic and knew how to engender team spirit, which was important

If you or (nearly) anyone else wanted to have a go at forming a county team, I can't think there would be any objections

Not easy to see where an Open captain is coming from, it would probably need a strong player from Stockport and they don't seem interested

You right about who wanted to be a captain but I was discussed this with a friend, and he thought why some county teams are good but the truth is that people wanted to played 4ncl then played county chess! For example

Nccu has Yorkshire and Lancashire good team! Would there be a demand if greater Manchester join and to challenge them? I don't know!

I do know that it is sad that at the moment greater Manchester has only one team in the county championship and yet Lancashire refused to let greater Manchester to played in the Nccu!

I hope people would encourage to play chess but there people who hold grudges in the pass and that not good for business!

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:58 pm

You`re right to say that various gremlins have beset our chess scene..
What about one of Urmstons senior players taking on the County Captaincy..
You have some good players there, and I`m sure they could do a good job.. with the right support.
There is a need to rebuild a contact list of players, but I`m sure a squad of around 30 players should be possible.
We`re only talking a handful of matches per season, and with a pool of 30 to pick from, it gives ample room for team/player rotation.
Manchester certainly has enough strong players to support a reasonable county Open team or Minor Counties team, and the Saturday format is less demanding than the 4NCL, which generally takes the full weekend.
BRING BACK THE BCF