County Championship Entry Fees

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Neil Graham

County Championship Entry Fees

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:45 pm

I see amongst the myriad papers for the ECF AGM that the SCCU have proposed that only entrants to the Final Stages be charged an entry fee.

I am implacably opposed to this. It is a "success" tax. Fail and you pay nothing, be successful and you have to pay an entry fee. This is, of course, in addition to all the other extra amounts you need to pay for room hire and travel expenses if you reach the quarter-finals. A more equitable solution would be to charge an entry fee to all the teams that don't reach the play-offs to meet the expenses of their more successful colleagues (only kidding folks).

The amount taken in entry fees is small, why not abolish them altogether? Or charge Unions a lump sum based on the number of counties in their area - this might encourage some Unions to actually run competitions.

Roger de Coverly

Re: County Championship Entry Fees

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:09 am

Neil Graham wrote: Fail and you pay nothing
That's the general idea. If as an individual, I enter a Congress seeking a British Championship place and fail to achieve this, I am under no obligation to pay the entry fee for the British Championship.

So why not the same for teams? Abolition of entry fees in the general interest of encouraging inter county competitions is a plausible strategy as well. If membership is compulsory in the national stages, that's also a bit of revenue.