Quarter-Finals

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: Quarter-Finals

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat May 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Essex 10.5 - Lincolnshire 5.5 (I think) in the Minor QF; a somewhat surprising margin and the first Essex win all season!

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun May 17, 2015 2:03 am

John Swain wrote:Well done to Devon U180 who beat Notts U180 8.5-7.5. The match went down to the wire, only decided by the last game to finish.

A picturesque venue too - the village of Frampton-on-Severn (near Gloucester) with departure very slightly delayed waiting for a horse-and-cart to come up the narrow street!
We lost the U160 to Middlesex by exactly the same score with the same scenario - the last game to finish decided it right at the end. One piece of good news our U100 won by 6.5-5.5 against Lancashire; I expect to hear that they won in the last seconds as well.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Sun May 17, 2015 10:22 am

Matt Fletcher wrote:Beds - Herts in the Minor Counties was looking good for Beds when I left (7-6 with 3 games to go).
When I left, it looked like a loss on board count was probably the limit of our (Herts) ambitions - one ending looked drawn, one a possible R+P ending win (though with drawing chances for the opponent) and one with a crazy material imbalance of R+N+N+4 vs Q+5, but with pawns coming off the board quite rapidly giving possibilities of saccing the Queen on the Rook.

In the end, it sounds like we managed to win both the first two, with the final game going down to R+N+1 vs Q with each player down to their last few seconds - draws were claimed and rejected, flags fell and eventually a draw was declared to give a final score of 8 ½ - 7 ½ to Herts.

Wish I'd been there to see the finish - sounds like some serious excitement!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun May 17, 2015 11:00 pm

How did Worcestershire get on anybody know?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Sun May 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote
How did Worcestershire get on anybody know?
I was advised at today's Suffolk v Essex U160 match that Suffolk had beaten Worcestershire 13-3 in the Minor Counties. This has now been confirmed on the ECF website.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon May 18, 2015 8:00 am

Most of the info is here
SCCU website

Yorks U160 win
Any postings on here represent my personal views