Union Reps Skype Meeting 17/July

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Union Reps Skype Meeting 17/July

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:19 am

"There was a character in "Last of the Summer Wine" who claimed to be a descendant of Robin Hood - no doubt he could be included in the Nottinghamshire side if he played chess!"

But Robin Hood was a Yorkshireman. Admittedly, he might have been resident in Nottinghamshire for the requisite period of time.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:09 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"There was a character in "Last of the Summer Wine" who claimed to be a descendant of Robin Hood - no doubt he could be included in the Nottinghamshire side if he played chess!"

But Robin Hood was a Yorkshireman. Admittedly, he might have been resident in Nottinghamshire for the requisite period of time.
Typical Yorkshire trick to try and filch a Nottinghamshire player. Because someone has suggested he comes from "Barnsdale" which is supposedly near Barnsley and because the village of Loxley is situated in South Yorkshire there has been a concerted effort to clearly pilfer a Nottinghamshire player. Calling an airport at Doncaster "Robin Hood Airport" cuts no ice; can anyone show any evidence that Robin Hood flew by RyanAir from Doncaster? Of course not! Next people will be saying he went on holiday to Robin Hood's Bay!

Anyone leaving the M1 Motorway at Junction Twenty Seven will immediately see a sign saying "Welcome to Robin Hood County", which of course is Nottinghamshire. The Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre, the church where Robin and Marion were married, Friar Tuck's Well, Will Scarlett's grave etc are all in Nottinghamshire. The most authoritative TV application ie "Maid Marian and her Merry Men" is set in Worksop which from discussion on this board everyone knows is in Nottinghamshire. Let's face it - the villain of all the legends is the Sheriff of Nottingham (a post that still exists) and not the leader of Sheffield City Council.

Later this year the new Doctor Who lands in Sherwood Forest - I bet he's in Nottinghamshire but we'll have to see!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:24 pm

Robin Hood must have travelled though - as a boy in the Russell Crowe film he had a Yorkshire accent, but as an adult had a number of accents.

I concede that he did not fly from Doncaster Airport, but did he ever use Junction 27 of the M1?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:21 am

I do not believe there are an abundance of players in SCCU wanting to play county chess above the teams currently playing.

There are other family & other interests, as well as w/e chess tournaments & junior events too. A big tournament in London at semi-final stages & and a England World Cup match.

Travel is difficult whatever route taken - not unusual for cars to not arrive & drivers having to spend hours not getting to a game and then getting back having spent hours in traffic.

Transport (Rail/Tube/Bus) is very expensive. It costs more for me to travel to home venues than some away venues because they are in the area where my extortionate fare for my journey to work takes me. There can be frequent disruptions too for engineering works, & other reasons which are not apparent until travelling.

Getting volunteers to take on running a team or County is difficult if there County & Unions are not working together.

On my part it was easy for me to volunteer at Surrey's AGM to captain our U180 team for this coming season because of all the work that the Board & Volunteers & players & parents have put in over the past decades, as well as SCCU Counties we play against too.

I have always looked forward to the national stages. Sometimes we qualify, sometimes we do not, but have good matches whether we win or not, and know at those stages we can all be on very long journeys.

Anyway, best wishes for the meeting, and looking forward to next season.

As well as best wishes for all involved in the Finals on 12th. Enjoy!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:00 am

Nick Grey wrote:A big tournament in London at semi-final stages
That problem has already been addressed for next year.

Ian Wallis

Post by Ian Wallis » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:19 pm

Does anyone know if this meeting took place?

I can't find any further reference to it anywhere.

Did anything of note come out of it?

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:16 pm

It did take place. Alex Holowczak prepared a draft summary which has been circulated to MCCU county representatives.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Ian Wallis wrote:Does anyone know if this meeting took place?

The meeting did take place and all unions were represented. The key points were that `teacher` has been removed from the eligibility criteria, that both the August and January grading lists can be used for purposes of board order and that players who have a grade in the January list (but not the August one) can use their January grades without permission having to be sought.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Ian Wallis wrote:Does anyone know if this meeting took place?

raycollett wrote:Alex Holowczak prepared a draft summary which has been circulated to MCCU county representatives.
It was circulated to all five Union Representatives; and the MCCU Representative took it upon himself to forward this to the rest of his Union. If the EACU Representative didn't do the same, then I doubt you would have received it via other sources.

I've been away for three weeks in Aberystwyth and Tromso, and I'm busy catching up on things like this after my period away.