Quarter-Finals

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
LawrenceCooper

Re: Quarter-Finals

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat May 17, 2014 9:47 pm

John R Moore wrote:In the open I hear Surrey beat Lancs 10-6 today
Kent beat Staffs but not sure of the final score.

EDIT: Kent won 10.5-5.5.
Last edited by LawrenceCooper on Sun May 18, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat May 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Minor - Notts 10 Manchester 6
U120 - Lancs 4.5 Notts 7.5
U100 - Kent 7 Notts 4

All now entered on the ECF site where the board scores are shown.

I believe Kent were leading Staffs 8-4 in the Under 140 match so I presume a Kent win.
Last edited by Neil Graham on Sat May 17, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat May 17, 2014 10:16 pm

PeterFarr wrote:We get slightly lost on the way back, turn up at 2.05 only to find ourselves 25 mins down - turns out the match was supposed to start at 1.00 ...presumably the Leicester guys gave us some leeway due to the mix up.
We knew something was amiss when only one Sussex player was in attendance at the start time! We waited 45 mins before starting the clocks but, as the venue was only booked until 6.30 and most Sussex players were in attendance at 1.45 we thought we had to get going for fear of being kicked out at a crucial stage. It was a close match and it wasn't until we won on boards 3 and 4 that we felt relatively safe. Thanks to Sussex for a good match.
Last edited by Sean Hewitt on Sun May 18, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sat May 17, 2014 11:17 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: Kent beat Staffs but not sure of the final score.
And Kent beat Staffs in the Under-140 too.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat May 17, 2014 11:37 pm

I was worried about that Yorkshire U180 team. Same problem as last year really I think - all the traditional captains, along with much of the core ex U175 squad, are >180 :( iirc we doubled up with the U160's vs Lancs but that obviously broke down later on.

A bit of a joke really given that we could field around 4 or 5 very competetive teams on paper. Oh well.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun May 18, 2014 9:18 am

U160 Herts beat G Man 10.5 to 5.5 at the excellent venue at Water Orton

Lovely sunny day, pity to be playing chess

Godd luck to Herts in the semi-finals (and to Notts in the Minor semis too)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun May 18, 2014 9:19 am

John R Moore wrote:In the open I hear Surrey beat Lancs 10-6 today
Full result here:
http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/matchbcf.htm#open

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun May 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Just noticed that the semi finals clash with Adam's King's Place Rapidplay :-(

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon May 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Suffolk beat Somerset 8.5-7.5 in a nailbiting match yesterday. Congratulations to them.

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Sun May 25, 2014 7:28 am

Sean - I volunteered to run the Yorks u180, u120 and u100 teams in the NCCU stages this year as no one else would do it. I did know of my other commitments hence why I made it clear that it was only for the NCCU stages. Yorks then progressed the u180s to the nationals (without consulting me) and rupert agreed a date with Essex (without consulting me). When I notified both Essex and the Yorkshire officials I would not be able to captain the team in the QF it was my understanding that others within the YCA would be picking up the team organisation. This clearly did not happen, hence the default.

Martin - quite right this is shambolic. The best way to resolve it would be for others such as yourself to volunteer to help out. We smashed Lancs in the qualifies with a weakened team. We no doubt could have given the national stages a good stab. However, as with all things in chess we lack proper organisation.

On the back of events this year I have decided that I will retire from volunteering to run county teams at the ripe old age of 30! I will concentrate my efforts on teaching the juniors as they are at least appreciative of my voluntary efforts after yet another 50+ hr week at work and a family to support.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun May 25, 2014 9:02 am

Andrew

A long shot I know, but is there any way you would consider running a team in next season's 4NCL Div 3 North? God knows chess needs all the volunteers we can get! And the 4NCL board (like juniors!) is always appreciative of the efforts of volunteers.

(And being a 4NCL captain is a whole lot easier than the cat-herding that being a county captain involves)

Just a thought ......

Mike

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun May 25, 2014 9:14 am

I was sadly entirely out of contact for that date with a holiday :( I tried to help a little but not much I could do. Can fully understand you being rather fed up with it all!

Two basic problems really. The first is that much of the core of the old (regular, consistent) U175 team is >180 most years now - for instance I'd I expect that I will be again next year. The prime players for the core of a stable U180 team would be around 170 on the new grades and those players weren't really playing county chess before so no tradition of it.

Compounded by not really having any good captains U180 :( I'm OK for organising keen players/teams like York A in the Woodhouse but not for rounding up reluctant ones! We probably do need to consider if its even worth trying next year.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun May 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Penalties have changed some of the match scores

http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/matchbcf.htm

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Sun May 25, 2014 7:01 pm

Mike - no doubt you will remember that I launched the two Bradford DCA teams in the 4NCL north in its maiden season. I loved the competition and was extremely happy in our first season when Bradford A won Div 3. When my second child came along I had to take a step back and left the teams in a very healthy position with money in the bank and two good captains in Andy Bak and mike Bramson. They have done a great job since and I will continue to support them as much as I can though my playing days at that level are on hold until my kids are a bit older.

Martin - I'm afraid I disagree as Yorks have than enough good players at u180 level. You will note that we thumped Lancs in the absence of any representation from York, Rose Foregrove or players from Sheffield like Andy Hards. We actually have more than enough players. Just no one to organise them!