Quarter-Finals

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Neil Graham

Re: Quarter-Finals

Post by Neil Graham » Mon May 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:I am aware of the comments here and elsewhere regarding the penalties applied. I am not going to make any comment as it is a matter solely involving the county captains concerned. Unfortunately where penalties exist I am obliged to enforce them.
One comment I did notice on the SCCU site was for more transparency over what penalties have been applied and for what reasons. Allowing for appeals to take place, will it be possible for a full accounting of the penalties applied to be published at some point?
The ECF results page on the ECF website shows clearly where penalties have been invoked and on what board. As I said earlier in this thread the only reason a penalty would have been given is because an ungraded player has been played without being referred to the Controller. All the match officials were informed before the national stages began that they should familiarise themselves with the rules especially those relating to ungraded players.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon May 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
The ECF results page on the ECF website shows clearly where penalties have been invoked and on what board. As I said earlier in this thread the only reason a penalty would have been given is because an ungraded player has been played without being referred to the Controller. All the match officials were informed before the national stages began that they should familiarise themselves with the rules especially those relating to ungraded players.

Apart from which, it is fairly obvious that in a grade restricted competition you need to check a player's grade before selecting him and that ungraded players should not be allowed to compete on the whim of a captain. The rules are sensible.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon May 26, 2014 9:41 pm

To go back to some of the other points discussed. It is clear that there is a dearth of organisers at every level of chess from club through county and Union up to national level. I comment on this regularly through this forum especially at voting time for ECF posts. It is unfortunate that this is most prevalent when it comes to county chess as we have witnessed in previous posts here. Every county has the capacity to raise sides at least in the grading limited competitions and challenge for national honours.

To qualify this year Nottinghamshire had to play 17 matches in the MCCU, I think Essex (for example) had a total of 28 county matches in the SCCU before nominations could be made. It's little wonder that when the finals are played the majority of teams will, I guess, come from the SCCU because they have committed teams who have played together in a considerable fixture list already.

The 28 teams in the semi finals are SCCU (11); MCCU (7); NCCU (4); EACU (4); WECU (2)

One twelve board match in the NCCU between Lancs and Yorkshire does not constitute much of a qualifying event.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue May 27, 2014 10:06 am

One 12 board match where the result doesn't matter for qualification purposes no less :)

Its certainly a big reason for the Yorkshire U180's going missing at the national stage these past two years. The Yorkshire league is the rough equivalent to all those SCCU stage events but you obviously don't inherit organisation for a county team from that.

Richard Haddrell

Post by Richard Haddrell » Tue May 27, 2014 11:44 am

Neil Graham wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:One comment I did notice on the SCCU site was for more transparency over what penalties have been applied and for what reasons.
The ECF results page on the ECF website shows clearly where penalties have been invoked and on what board.
It does now! Perhaps the Controller has been reading the SCCU website.