Time controls

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Christopher Kreuzer

Time controls

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:15 pm

I've trying to find out the current time control used in the ECF County Chess Competition (U180 section if that makes a difference), but have been unable to find an updated page showing this. Probably looking in the wrong place. Can anyone help?

Kevin Williamson

Re: Time controls

Post by Kevin Williamson » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:18 pm

It is there:

C5. The duration of play shall be a maximum of five hours and all games shall be played with clocks. Each player shall make not less than 40 moves in two hours and then to a conclusion with 30 minutes extra for each player for the remainder of the game. Except in the Finals, the rate of play and duration of the sudden death finish may be varied by mutual agreement between the respective match captains.

In my experience most matches are played at a quicker rate (by agreement of the captains) but 40/120 + 30 is used for all matches on Finals day.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Are you talking about the ECF Counties Championships (National Stages) or are you, at this time of the season, more interested in the SCCU Counties Championships (Union Qualifying Stages)?

Anyway, to take the two in turn, in the reverse order to above:

From the SCCU Rules at http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/mrul.htm:

"20. Rates of Play

(a) Mechanical clocks
The rate of play will normally be 35 moves in 1¾ hours and then 30 minutes extra for each player for the remainder of the game. For any match, the captains may agree to vary the number of moves to the time control, the time allowed to the time control, and the length of the quickplay finish provided that:
(i) there is a quickplay finish; and
(ii) games remain eligible for Standard-Play grading.

(b) Digital Clocks
Where sufficient suitable clocks are available to enable an entire match to be played therewith, the rate of play unless otherwise agreed by the match captains will be be 35 moves in 1 hour and 40 minutes and then 20 minutes for each player for the remainder of the game, with an extra 10 seconds per move for each player added from the start. The captains may agree to vary the number of moves to the time control, the time allowed to the time control, the time added for the remainder of the game and the time added for each move, provided that games remain eligible for Standard-Play grading. They may also agree to play the match with time limits in accordance with (a) above."

From the ECF Rules at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=36#rules:

"C5. The duration of play shall be a maximum of five hours and all games shall be played with clocks. Each player shall make not less than 40 moves in two hours and then to a conclusion with 30 minutes extra for each player for the remainder of the game. Except in the Finals, the rate of play and duration of the sudden death finish may be varied by mutual agreement between the respective match captains."

Edit: Kevin W got there first, but I decided to let my post stand.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:38 pm

The proposed new rule(s) will be less wordy than above:

"The time control shall be 40 moves in 2 hours, plus a 30-minute quickplay finish in the Open and Minor Counties Championship sections. The time control in the other sections shall be 40 moves in 100 minutes, plus a 20-minute quickplay finish. The time control of each match may be varied if this shall be acceptable by mutual agreement between the captains of both teams in a match and the Controller."

Followed by

"The time control for the Final of each section shall be 40 moves in 2 hours, plus a 30-minute quickplay finish."

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:41 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:Are you talking about the ECF Counties Championships (National Stages) or are you, at this time of the season, more interested in the SCCU Counties Championships (Union Qualifying Stages)?
The latter, but information on both was helpful. Many thanks to you and Kevin (and Alex). I will scroll down next time. I had found that page, but had incorrectly thought it was outdated. In various places I've seen County Match/Championship controllers listed as David Smith, David Welch and Alex Holowczak (not to mention Sean Hewitt and Cyril Johnson). I think I've put Dave Smith in there by accident as he seems to be the SCCU county match controller. Is there a timeline anywhere of who did what when?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:In various places I've seen County Match/Championship controllers listed as David Smith, David Welch and Alex Holowczak (not to mention Sean Hewitt and Cyril Johnson). I think I've put Dave Smith in there by accident as he seems to be the SCCU county match controller.?
David Smith (not Dave Smith) is the Controller of the SCCU Counties Championships, and has been since 1998.

Alex Holowczak is the Controller of the ECF Counties Championships, having recently taken over from Adrian Elwin.

David Welch has not been the Controller to the best of my knowledge. He is the Chief Arbiter.

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Is there a timeline anywhere of who did what when?
There is for the SCCU. Go to http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/old.htm and click on whatever interests you. It's off topic, but I thoroughly recommend the article about SCCU trophies and their propensity to disappear.