Old Chestnut

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
benedgell

Re: Old Chestnut

Post by benedgell » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:53 pm

Had forgotten about Dorset- based players playing for Wessex (sorry!), but is it correct to say that no-one from Dorset is captaining?

No Gloucs- based players in West is Best to best of my knowledge. Certainly none of them are captaining a West is Best team rather then the county team.

Alex Holowczak

Re: Old Chestnut

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:28 am

Neil Graham wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:47 pm
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:08 pm
Neil Graham wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:02 pm
I can tell you what that is as I refer to it constantly on this forum. It's a lack of volunteers for chess administrative posts.
I think there are as many people prepared to captain teams/squads as there always have been. Those volunteers are just going into 4NCL captaincy rather than County team captaincy.
I'd let the above comment pass but I suppose I'd better answer it. Whilst we can say that Shropshire don't compete in county chess and field teams in the 4NCL there is absolutely no evidence that volunteers are going into 4NCL captaincy rather than county team captaincy. Firstly as has been pointed out on here on a number of occasions, the rules for the competitions are entirely different. Organisation of 4NCL teams have little or no impact on county sides - the average grade is 130 or so - whereas there are very few players of that standard in the 4NCL. The U140, U120 and U100 County Championships, which make up the majority of teams, will have no effect on 4NCL teams & selections. The main problem, as it's always been, is a lack of people who volunteer to organise at a local, county, Union and even national level. I may actually be able to give a practical example of that shortly.
I think there is evidence that people are more prepared to captain 4NCL teams than county teams. What is the trend in terms of number of teams in both competitions over the past 10 years?