Manchester in the NCCU

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Mick Norris

Re: Manchester in the NCCU

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:01 pm

6 Tie splitting procedure

a. The championship is awarded to the team scoring the highest number of match points.

b. If still tied, then the championship is awarded to the team scoring the highest number of game points.

c. If still tied, then the championship is awarded to the team that won their respective match between them.

d. If still tied, then the championship is awarded to the team with the greatest number of wins.

e. If still tied, then board order where wins occurred will be added up and the lowest number will determine positions of the teams.

f. If still tied, then a toss of a coin by the County controller will take place.
I assume Yorks win the u1450 on e)

u1650 both teams still to play Northumberland

u2050 both teams still to play Cleveland

G Man due to play both in the next round of fixtures
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:19 pm

Yorkshire won easily in the Open today, but G Man won the u1850 match (not having to field our dodgy reserve helped)

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:41 pm

Thank you for hosting us and another great spread at Swinton.
HDCA President

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:07 pm

Always nice to see an Yorkshire open team that I wouldn't get very near :)

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:23 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:07 pm
you would get in the manchester team?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:16 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:23 pm
MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:07 pm
you would get in the manchester team?
Well not if they were full strength!

I was going to play the U2050 (for Yorkshire) but the trains were out and begging a lift from the Manchester team seemed like a bit much :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:18 pm

A first ever NCCU title today for G Man, as the u1850 team go into a 6-3 lead against Merseyside

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:58 pm

And now we have won the u2050 title too, thanks to Cleveland beating Yorks

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:22 am

Really not a good day for Yorkshire between that and the open! Well done to Cleveland though - quite a good team that.

It's the U2050 and below where Yorkshire's size should be rights make us nearly invincible, but obviously we only very rarely get anything like our strongest team on paper out. It changes every year for one thing.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:36 pm

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:14 pm

If the match did not begin at the "official" start time, then surely that should no longer count in such calculations.

I would be extremely miffed if such a decision went against my team, put it that way.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:54 pm

I would think that the late player should have been defaulted one hour after the scheduled start of the match. But once he had been allowed to start, it seems wholly unreasonable to stop the game later and then try to claim the default. In the circumstances, the 0-0 result looks right.

But two players have had a wasted day, others might have been distracted, and do you really need this when there is already somewhat limited interest in the counties championship?

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

Especially when people are rationally depending on trains round here and how unreliable they are just now! People will be late, sometimes very much so. Quite odd to stop the game once started.

The captains know each other quite well - same club in the Yorkshire/Leeds league - so some friendly needle perhaps, but I doubt anything more real.

Shouldn't be allowed to distract much from what was a rather comprehensive win for Northumberland vs a pretty strong Yorkshire team. Fair odds on a rematch in the final you suppose.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am
Especially when people are rationally depending on trains round here and how unreliable they are just now! People will be late, sometimes very much so.
Generally speaking to be over nearly 70 minutes late due to trains is quite abnormal, especially on the Manchester to York route; since you know in advance of any train strikes (which wasn't the case); I suspect the player had planned to get the latest possible train and arrive at the last minute, once the train was cancelled then your scuppered

Normally when I play in York (same route as said player), or even in other matches when trains on the day are required; I would always aim to get to the playing town at least an hour earlier just so you mitigate the train cancellation problems (obviously sometimes it is more serious but then normally you never arrive)

Personally, I like the default time to be one hour after the clocks start (all boards the same time still); if these have started after the official start time, then technically both captains have agreed this already; but then I will still be very strict about claiming the default and override players wanting to play whatsoever