A CoM Credit remains until test passed

Questions and Support regarding the Certificate of Merit.
John Upham

A CoM Credit remains until test passed

Post by John Upham » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:14 pm

A substantial change has been made to the charging model for CoM as of today, 22nd November, 2010.

A purchased CoM credit will not be used until a test is passed (at any level).

Let us assume the student takes a test at Level One and passes (most do) and then progresses to Level Two.

Let us assume that the student fails (a dirty word but I am prepared to use it here) at Level Two. The student will not lose that credit and it will remain with them until they take and pass another test.

Hopefully, if this news is widely circulated, then students will be motivated to work through all the levels only using a maximum of three credits.

OK, so the ECF may make less revenue as a result, but, on the other hand, greater numbers may result in more tests and more revenue.

The most important consequence, of course, is that more students take more tests and get to improve their chess to a larger extent! :D

See http://www.certificateofmerit.org.uk/ :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matthew Turner

Re: A CoM Credit remains until test passed

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:08 am

John,
I think it is good that there has been a change in the pricing structure, because I think it was unrealistic for students to pay £6 multiple times. Can you give us some idea of how many people have bought credits to date?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:35 am

Matthew Turner wrote:John,
I think it is good that there has been a change in the pricing structure, because I think it was unrealistic for students to pay £6 multiple times. Can you give us some idea of how many people have bought credits to date?
187 credits have been purchased to date of which 90 were bought in lumps of 30 by three schools.

Others may have been purchased and not entered into the CoM database by the ECF Office. I have no control over this.

John

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:25 pm

John,
Many thanks for the update. There is now an announcement on the ECF homepage and you can watch a clip of Andy Martin - good stuff. I am interested in this comment

"There are also special events throughout the day, including demonstration of the Certificate of Merit. For further details -- www.londonchessclassic.com.

I am hoping to be at the Classic for at least one of the days. Is there any more information on what might be going on with respect to the COM. It seems to be great news that the COM might be becoming linked to the CSC project?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:47 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:It seems to be great news that the COM might be becoming linked to the CSC project?
It's direct competition is it not making COM dead in the water?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:42 pm

You may wish to promulgate this information or, in some way take advantage of it.

The English Chess Federation is pleased to announce further developments in their Certificate of Merit proudly sponsored by LV=
The Certificate of Merit (COM) is centred on a number of online tests. These enable students to measure their progress and to earn certificates and badges.
It is only possible to take the tests entirely online. Payments for the credits can be made online, or by post. Examinees can practice as many times as they wish before they take the test. All questions are multiple-choice. The mark then comes through automatically. The result will then immediately be available and the certificate will then be issued online shortly afterwards and the button badge for the particular level will be sent out by the ECF Office slightly later. Please see the shop on the ECF website http://www.englishchess.org.uk/ for details of purchase of the full package or individual items.

New! Each credit costs £6 or £150 for 30. A new development is that, once a student has paid for a credit, he can then take the test as many times as he wishes, until he passes.

New! Another new development is that a student will be able to track each question he got wrong and find out the correct answer.

There is also a package available of many goodies. Again, for details, go to www.certificateofmerit.org.uk

For further information contact the ECF Office: 01424 775 222.
[email protected]

The system will be demonstrated at the London Chess Classic by Dr John Upham. Players under 16 will be admitted free, provided they are accompanied by a fee-paying adult.
Schools that have been offered the free 10 sets by Holloid, but have not yet received them, have been offered the following by the ECF. SIX free credits to take the COM test (worth £36). A free copy of the DVD or Level One booklet (worth either £15 or £7.50) to the each school where at least one person passes the test, as long as stocks last. This offer remains open until 14 February 2011.

(Personally I don't regard projects which have the best interests of chess at heart as being in competition, direct or otherwise.)

Stewart Reuben

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:08 am

I was at the London Classic on Saturday and Stewart Reuben was there all day (and I mean all day) promoting the Certificate of Merit. That is a huge commitment of time and effort and it excellent to see an ECF Official being so proactive.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:46 am

Matthew Turner wrote:I was at the London Classic on Saturday and Stewart Reuben was there all day (and I mean all day) promoting the Certificate of Merit. That is a huge commitment of time and effort and it excellent to see an ECF Official being so proactive.
Stewart and I have been at the LCC since Wednesday although I was feeling awful on Saturday and didn't come in. I should be attending on Tuesday and Wednesday also.

The interest has been very good. Once you can get teachers and children to start using CoM they enjoy it and want to use it further.

Thanks to everyone from this forum who introduced themselves! :D