Guest account added

Questions and Support regarding the Certificate of Merit.
John Upham

Guest account added

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:50 am

For those who wish to try Certificate of Merit (but are too shy to register with their own email alias) I have added a guest account.

You may login with

email alias : [email protected]

OR

nickname : guest

password : comguest

and do as many practise or general chess knowledge tests as you wish.

The only drawback is that you will not get any email notifications.

Enjoy! :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Re: Guest account added

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:09 pm

I took the test and received the following email:
Thank-you for taking an ECF LV= Certificate of Merit test (TestID # 746 at Practise level).
Congratulations Jon, you scored 20 correct answers out of 20 questions asked, giving you a score of 100% (the pass mark is 70%)
You will receive your certificate either directly by email or via your school in the next few days.
Please use the Analyse my previous tests feature to revisit this test and revise your answers.
Shouldn't that be "practice" (i.e. the noun) in this case? I say that after carefully Googling for several minutes as English isn't my strongest strength (*).

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to received a certificate as it was only a practice test, not the real thing.

(*) That was deliberate.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:Shouldn't that be "practice" (i.e. the noun) in this case? I say that after carefully Googling for several minutes as English isn't my strongest strength (*).

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to received a certificate as it was only a practice test, not the real thing.

(*) That was deliberate.
Ooops! :oops:

Fixed! :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:45 pm

I see Jon managed to get all the questions correct. Do you need someone to test the output for getting answers wrong?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:57 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I see Jon managed to get all the questions correct. Do you need someone to test the output for getting answers wrong?
The more the merrier so Yes please! :D

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Here are my comments from taking a test:

1. I'd change the term "most accurate move" to "best move", particularly in positions where only one move wins, and others only draw or lose.

2. I noticed in Q1014, for example, that the possible answers keep appearing in different orders when I'm reviewing my answers, which could be confusing. For questions where it is applicable, possible answers always in ascending order would be best (e.g. where the question is "how many pieces are attacked ...", "how many squares can a piece move to ...", etc.)

3. In Q210, one of the answers contains an ambiguous move - both Rooks can move to g6 and the answer doesn't specify which.

4. In Q14, either none of the possible answers are right, or three of them are right. The correct answer is that the board is the wrong way round and both sides Kings and Queens are incorrectly placed. These are three of the possible answers, but they are not shown as a single combined answer.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:03 pm

And another comment from reviewing the results of the test I tried 6 months ago:

1. Q1005 has a typing mistake in one of the answers - its says "Four (0)", not "Four (4)".

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:24 pm

And also from a random look at other people's test results:

1. Test 184, detailed analysis, says the student got question 11 wrong, but if you click on the link to see the question and answer it then says they got it right (which would be correct if the answer shown is the one they gave).

2. Would I be right in thinking that if you don't complete all 20 questions, the detailed results always says Questions attempted: 0; Answers correct: 0; Score 0% (e.g. test 175, amongst other incomplete tests)? You should pass if you got enough questions right without attempting all 20.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:And also from a random look at other people's test results:

1. Test 184, detailed analysis, says the student got question 11 wrong, but if you click on the link to see the question and answer it then says they got it right (which would be correct if the answer shown is the one they gave).

OK, I will alter the SQL query to stop other students results being available and check the point made.

2. Would I be right in thinking that if you don't complete all 20 questions, the detailed results always says Questions attempted: 0; Answers correct: 0; Score 0% (e.g. test 175, amongst other incomplete tests)? You should pass if you got enough questions right without attempting all 20.
I decided that a student should allow use a credit if they completed the test but I need to write the correct number of questions attempted to the database. It was on my Todo list!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:40 pm

When is the loss of the credit counted? When you've answered all 20 questions? Is there a safeguard against a candidate getting to question 19, thinking they've failed, so quitting and starting again with the same credit?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:11 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:When is the loss of the credit counted? When you've answered all 20 questions? Is there a safeguard against a candidate getting to question 19, thinking they've failed, so quitting and starting again with the same credit?
Currently, a credit is only used when a test requiring one is completed (defined by answering correctly or incorrectly all 20 questions).

We are likely to change the model so that a credit is not used until the test is passed at a future date to be announced.