New CoM functionality

Questions and Support regarding the Certificate of Merit.
John Upham

New CoM functionality

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:19 am

All students may now analyse in detail all of their previous tests showing (amongst other things) how many tests they have taken, at what level and how they performed.

More importantly, each test is dissected to show which questions were asked and in what order. The answers given are shown together with if the answer given was the correct one.

I believe this will add value to the CoM process and introduce more of a learning aspect to the experience.

I have also simplified the registration form (as postal details are no longer required).

In time, I hope to add explanations for each and every question together with further references. This is a huge amount of work.

See http://www.certificateofmerit.org.uk/ :D

As always, I welcome any feedback to [email protected]
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matthew Turner

Re: New CoM functionality

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:40 pm

John,
I've had a try as a guest. I put random answers so I got 4/20. I like the idea of knowing which question you got right and wrong.
Three points

1. It say "My answer was incorrect", surely it should be "Your answer was incorrect"
2. Some of the questions by SR seem quite difficult. For instance Q224 the position given is not the one being questioned about. Q229 is quite hard if you think about it too deeply.
3. We've got a lot of nice features, but they are now all connected to the free bits. Why should I pay to use the CoM when all I getting is an E-mailed certificate? (well that is the way a lot of people will think)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:37 pm

A message has been sent to all CoM users that have provided an email address as follows :
Dear John,

Thank-you for registering for the LV= Certificate of Merit from the English Chess Federation.

We are now pleased to offer you the ability to analyse your previous tests in detail, test by test and then question by question.

You can find out which questions you were asked together with the five possible answers.

We also show you which answer you gave plus which was the correct answer for any questions that you were not lucky enough to answer correctly.

Do not forget that you can take as many practice tests as you like completely for free!

The pool of questions and answers is growing all the time so new ones have probably been added since you last took a test!

We hope you enjoy the LV= Certificate of Merit and that it helps you to enjoy and further your chess!

Yours Sincerley,
IM Andrew Martin and the LV= Certificate of Merit Team, The English Chess Federation,

Hopefully during half-term this should remind some of CoM and generate more interest! :D

I even spelt "practice" correctly this time.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:15 pm

"I even spelt "practice" correctly this time."

but not "sincerely"...
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:51 pm

To Matthew Turner
If you wish to volunteer to weed out questions which you believe are too difficult or that the answer is wrong that would be very welcome help. In a bank of 500 inevitably there will be some errors.
I am puzzled how you even know which I have prepared, although it is a fair guess for any of them.

Stewart Reuben

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:44 am

I dont really like the idea of messages being circulated with my name on which I haven't approved. Moreover, with basic spelling mistakes. There is nothing wrong with the message as it stands apart from that .......

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:40 pm

All 8,800 odd schools who did not receive free chess sets have just been sent their login details for the CoM site. In an earlier flyer they were given details of the new offers for CoM and other matters.