Page 1 of 1

English Girls' Championship

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:58 am
by Ian Kingston
More evidence that the ECF doesn't take women seriously: in the rules posted at http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/girl ... mpionship/ there are multiple references to 'he' and 'him'.

I could get pretty annoyed by this. Even more so if I were a woman.

Re: English Girls' Championship

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:50 am
by LawrenceCooper
Ian Kingston wrote:More evidence that the ECF doesn't take women seriously: in the rules posted at http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/girl ... mpionship/ there are multiple references to 'he' and 'him'.

I could get pretty annoyed by this. Even more so if I were a woman.
Apologies for that, in my haste to promote the event whilst answering hundreds of e-mails and numerous phone calls in my new role as Junior Director the rules weren't changed to reflect it being a girls event. I can't speak for other members of the ECF but I most certainly do take girls and women players seriously and in addition to this event (which I can't take credit for as the organising pre-dates my election) there will be a 5th London Chess Classic Women's International in December,once again funded by myself, but of course made possible thanks to the Classic organisers providing both the venue and arbiting team.

Re: English Girls' Championship

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:55 am
by Roger de Coverly
LawrenceCooper wrote: Apologies for that, in my haste to promote the event whilst answering hundreds of e-mails and numerous phone calls in my new role as Junior Director the rules weren't changed to reflect it being a girls event.
Why though are the chess rules non-standard? I'm thinking of the requirement to keep score (not required under rapid-play) and the unusual approach to claiming draws in the last two minutes?

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=15

Re: English Girls' Championship

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:55 am
by Ian Kingston
Thanks for the prompt change. This is one issue that really irks me, and I know that you do take this seriously.

Re: English Girls' Championship

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:20 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Roger de Coverly wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote: Apologies for that, in my haste to promote the event whilst answering hundreds of e-mails and numerous phone calls in my new role as Junior Director the rules weren't changed to reflect it being a girls event.
Why though are the chess rules non-standard? I'm thinking of the requirement to keep score (not required under rapid-play) and the unusual approach to claiming draws in the last two minutes?

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 7&start=15
I will also ask for clarification about these points. For now, could we at least try and be positive that the event is taking place?

Re: English Girls' Championship

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:31 pm
by James Pratt
Ian, you are not a woman, you are a valued colleague.

Re: English Girls' Championship

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:58 pm
by Ian Kingston
James Pratt wrote:Ian, you are not a woman, you are a valued colleague.
I'll let my wife know.

Re: English Girls' Championship

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:31 pm
by soheil_hooshdaran
Ian Kingston wrote:Thanks for the prompt change. This is one issue that really irks me, and I know that you do take this seriously.
sorry, but why did you use 'irk' and not 'irritate' or annoy'?

Re: English Girls' Championship

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:15 am
by Ian Kingston
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Ian Kingston wrote:Thanks for the prompt change. This is one issue that really irks me, and I know that you do take this seriously.
sorry, but why did you use 'irk' and not 'irritate' or annoy'?
I can't say for sure because it wasn't a conscious choice.

Re: English Girls' Championship

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 am
by Greg Breed
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Ian Kingston wrote:Thanks for the prompt change. This is one issue that really irks me, and I know that you do take this seriously.
sorry, but why did you use 'irk' and not 'irritate' or annoy'?
Probably because it requires less typing ;)

Re: English Girls' Championship

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:54 am
by Ian Kingston
Greg Breed wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Ian Kingston wrote:Thanks for the prompt change. This is one issue that really irks me, and I know that you do take this seriously.
sorry, but why did you use 'irk' and not 'irritate' or annoy'?
Probably because it requires less typing ;)
Typing is irksome.

Re: English Girls' Championship

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:51 pm
by Greg Breed
Ian Kingston wrote:Thanks for the prompt change. This is one issue that really irks me, and I know that you do take this seriously.
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:sorry, but why did you use 'irk' and not 'irritate' or annoy'?
Greg Breed wrote:Probably because it requires less typing ;)
Ian Kingston wrote:Typing is irksome.
:lol: