1ST CAPLIN MENCHIK MEMORIAL

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: 1ST CAPLIN MENCHIK MEMORIAL

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:08 pm

There was one year at Big Slick where I played my round 9 game between rounds 3 and 4 to make getting back home easier for my opponent. (This also had the effect for me of turning my colour sequence into strict alternation.)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:35 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:03 pm
IIRC a game in the British was moved because of a potential issue with a participant at the World Junior (Vishy?).
That happened several times in the British Championship from about 1985 to about 2015.

Nowadays this would be very difficult in a Swiss Tournament with norms on offer, as even minor variations in pairings are not normally allowed.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:40 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:03 pm
I did say this wasn't just about Ms Hryshchenko. I had assumed that there were some rules on this.
I would not expect a rescheduling to be allowed (by the arbiter, let alone by FIDE) where the purpose of the request was to increase the norm chances of the player making the request.

I was seeking to make the point that there was no such suspicion in this case.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:48 pm

I'm getting a lot of interesting comments about circumstances where departures from an expected norm of games being played to a fixed schedule might arise but almost nothing about the parameters that must be observed (I say almost because David has given one consideration - 'manipulating norm chances' in the post that crossed with mine). If round 1 can be moved/anticipated, does the final round have to be played by a certain date? I played in several of the e2-e4 APAs albeit not in a norm seeking section. It never occurred to me that if I was unwell I might be permitted to play at another time (not necessarily possible given the two game a day schedule). I believe there may have been at least one event where a game was played out of sequence in the norm section, but the details were not of great significance to me, so haven't been remembered.