Fide sparks anger with ‘gross’ breast enlargement sponsor for women’s chess

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Fide sparks anger with ‘gross’ breast enlargement sponsor for women’s chess

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:37 pm

"Perhaps the fact that a FIDE VP is making these slanderous allegations in public"

Is it a fact?

Probably not, as there is an important difference between "libel" and "slander".

I have already made it very clear I don't think it's a brilliant choice of sponsor, (sadly one has to repeat these things), but making random accusations against people you disagree with doesn't help.

Theo Wait

Post by Theo Wait » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:41 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:37 pm
"Perhaps the fact that a FIDE VP is making these slanderous allegations in public"

Is it a fact?

Probably not, as there is an important difference between "libel" and "slander".

I have already made it very clear I don't think it's a brilliant choice of sponsor, (sadly one has to repeat these things), but making random accusations against people you disagree with doesn't help.
I'm not questioning whether you think it's a brilliant choice of sponsor. Slander used here isn't meant with any specific legal meaning; simply about making false and damaging statements, which is a common alternative definition of the word. I don't think Nigel Short implying that Lichess has invented quotes from players is a "random accusation" from me that his words are false and damaging to the ethics and professionalism of Lichess. However, if you believe his words were not false and damaging towards Lichess then we will have to disagree on that point.
Last edited by Theo Wait on Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:53 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:37 pm
making random accusations against people you disagree with doesn't help.
This is precisely what Nigel is doing of course
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com