Grand Prix Gibraltar revised to May 22 to June 2, 2021

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Geoff Chandler

Re: Grand Prix Gibraltar revised to May 22 to June 2, 2021

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon May 24, 2021 2:06 pm

Brilliant!

I'm stuck in my study entering the games of James Macrae Aitken into PGN format and wondering why
the books I have recently done have not been added to the Britbase database when during a break
I seek out a live chess OTB event and I discover John Saunders is in Gibraltar interviewing Gunay Mammadzada.

John appears here around about about 4:52. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3NYXouQew

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 25, 2021 9:18 am

I'd not grasped that Koneru Humpy should have been playing the 4th leg of the GP
The equation is pretty simple. Having played in two legs so far, winning one and finishing as joint-winner in the other one, to win the Grand Prix series I needed to finish in the top three of the Gibraltar-leg. And, to make it to the Candidates Matches, for which this Series is also a qualifying event, I have to finish in the top two in the final standings
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue May 25, 2021 9:25 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:18 am
I'd not grasped that Koneru Humpy should have been playing the 4th leg of the GP
The good news is that she did so well in her first two outings that her prospects of progressing even with a zero in Gibraltar are pretty good. It would seem rather unfair if she didn't.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:48 am

TWIC
Aleksandra Goryachkina had already qualified for the Candidates tournament as the loser of the World Championship match, after this tournament Humpy Koneru took the first Grand Prix place and Kateryna Lagno the second and they have qualified too.

Zhansaya Abdumalik won this Grand Prix with an impressive score of 8.5/11.

The FIDE Women’s World Cup has three Candidates places, their Grand Swiss 1 place and there is a place by rating.
Pete Doggers
IM Zhansaya Abdumalik played the tournament of her life in Gibraltar. The Kazakh chess player won the Women's Grand Prix with a round to spare, earned 15,000 euros, and became a full-fledged grandmaster in the process.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:05 pm

Pete Doggers wrote:IM Zhansaya Abdumalik played the tournament of her life in Gibraltar. The Kazakh chess player won the Women's Grand Prix with a round to spare, earned 15,000 euros, and became a full-fledged grandmaster in the process.
Doesn't she need to wait till the new ratings are published at the end of the month before becoming a GM? (In which case of course any further games she plays before then might take her rating back below 2500).

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:30 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:05 pm
(In which case of course any further games she plays before then might take her rating back below 2500).
No, she can "freeze" her interim rating, so she is safe unless some previously unreported games turn up - which doesn't seem likely.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.