Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

Re: Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Malcolm to his credit has conceded gracefully. "Disappointing election result yesterday but wish FIDE well. I am very proud of ECF President, CEO and Board for unanimously taking moral and ethical stand in the present climate."

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 am

There were two types of chess game being played at Batumi - one was on the board and the other was geo-political. The state-backed candidate indeed ran an impressive campaign. Goody bags for delegates were thoughtfully placed in their hotel rooms and beneath their tables in the election hall. A chess clock or a bottle of spirits are small gestures and no doubt the delegates accepting the gifts will pass them on to their national federations. (The Ethics Committee looked into the matter of the mysterious hotel goody bags but could not pin any blame due to lack of evidence). Scheduled one-on-ones with the voters were conducted discreetly and politely; requests for support were answered satisfactorily. Delegates were warmly greeted by the flow of finest Georgian wines at parties held in some of the resort's luxury nightspots. The night before the election delegates were invited to attend a "crazy mermaid beach party" -with real mermaids - offering a relaxed and friendly atmosphere (flyer attached). On the announcement of the election results, some delegations jumped for joy and hugged each other. Their future is assured as is the leadership of FIDE for the next 8 years.
crazyparty.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:32 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:22 pm
Malcolm to his credit has conceded gracefully. "Disappointing election result yesterday but wish FIDE well. I am very proud of ECF President, CEO and Board for unanimously taking moral and ethical stand in the present climate."
Taking a moral and ethical stand would probably have meant backing nobody rather than backing Malcolm's ticket, but whatever
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:28 am

"Malcolm to his credit has conceded gracefully. "Disappointing election result yesterday but wish FIDE well. I am very proud of ECF President, CEO and Board for unanimously taking moral and ethical stand in the present climate.""

"Unanimously"?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:41 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:28 am
"Malcolm to his credit has conceded gracefully. "Disappointing election result yesterday but wish FIDE well. I am very proud of ECF President, CEO and Board for unanimously taking moral and ethical stand in the present climate.""

"Unanimously"?
Well, I wasn't at the meeting, so it may depend on how you define "unanimous".

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 pm

"As one spirit"

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:22 pm
That's a graceful concession, is it ....

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:06 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:03 pm
That's a graceful concession, is it ....
Those associated with Malcolm have been less than graceful in their postings on this forum.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:06 pm

John Foley wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 am
There were two types of chess game being played at Batumi - one was on the board and the other was geo-political. The state-backed candidate indeed ran an impressive campaign. Goody bags for delegates were thoughtfully placed in their hotel rooms and beneath their tables in the election hall. A chess clock or a bottle of spirits are small gestures and no doubt the delegates accepting the gifts will pass them on to their national federations. (The Ethics Committee looked into the matter of the mysterious hotel goody bags but could not pin any blame due to lack of evidence). Scheduled one-on-ones with the voters were conducted discreetly and politely; requests for support were answered satisfactorily. Delegates were warmly greeted by the flow of finest Georgian wines at parties held in some of the resort's luxury nightspots. The night before the election delegates were invited to attend a "crazy mermaid beach party" -with real mermaids - offering a relaxed and friendly atmosphere (flyer attached). On the announcement of the election results, some delegations jumped for joy and hugged each other. Their future is assured as is the leadership of FIDE for the next 8 years.

crazyparty.jpg
Of course, it is also possible that the Makro team lost partly down to their own record .....?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:10 pm

True, although you'd like to know what went on nonetheless, even though John Foley works for Malcolm.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Oh, I had little doubt about that. Some Russians (admittedly, no fans of the regime back at home) told me that Dvorkovich was known for holding extravagant parties ....

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:41 am
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:28 am

"Unanimously"?
Well, I wasn't at the meeting, so it may depend on how you define "unanimous".

I tweeted the following in response to a 'unanimous' comment in a tweet by Tim Wall:
'Unanimous??' Nit-picking perhaps, but, in the interests of accuracy, according to the ECF website, the Board was not unanimous: 'the ECF Board decided by a clear majority to support the Presidential ticket of Georgios Makropoulos.'

Tim Wall, who clearly has better and more informed sources than me, responded on twitter:
'The correct situation regarding that vote has already been made public via correspondence during the @FIDE_chess Congress. The @ecfchess board put out a statement saying it was a ‘clear majority’ - but that was just to save Nigel’s blushes. The true vote was 9-0.'

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:30 pm

John Swain wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:13 pm
'The correct situation regarding that vote has already been made public
Made public where?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:43 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:10 pm
John Foley works for Malcolm.
As an independent service provider, I have collaborated with Malcolm and CSC for many years on the London Chess Conference and other chess and education events. I was in Batumi as Secretary of the ECU Education Commission. I spoke to Arkady about chess in schools and he was very supportive, recognising it as the most important activity to ensure the future of chess. That he led a carefully-planned and well-funded election campaign with extravagant parties (in chess terms) can hardly be denied. The key issue is whether the new President will now fulfil his sundry promises to a wide variety of stakeholders whilst maintaining proper governance procedures in FIDE.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:47 pm

John

Be serious for a moment. How many delegates do you honestly believe were persuaded by the quality and extravagance of the parties?