FIDE internal fighting

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

Re: FIDE internal fighting

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:57 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:47 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:41 am
According to Crime Russia this morning there will be a challenger....Ilyumzhinov.
I was thinking rather more of whether there would be a contested election for President of the ECU. But can FIDE operate without a bank account?
Ah I see. OK then, apart from the incident with the Canadian wearing shorts hasn't Azmai done a reasonable job as ECU President? The amount of Georgian money he has brought to the table has been impressive and who do we think will be able to do better?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:06 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:51 am
Kirsan clearly hopes not, but probably some emergency arrangement can be scrambled.
It occurred to me that if it wasn't possible to separate Kirsan from FIDE, then the world's Continental and National Federations as represented at the recent Board meeting leave FIDE and set up a successor body. Cue lots of money for lawyers though.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:57 am
OK then, apart from the incident with the Canadian wearing shorts hasn't Azmai done a reasonable job as ECU President? The amount of Georgian money he has brought to the table has been impressive and who do we think will be able to do better?
That's the size of it. The business with the scruffy Canadian wasn't even in his ECU role.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:06 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:51 am
Kirsan clearly hopes not, but probably some emergency arrangement can be scrambled.
It occurred to me that if it wasn't possible to separate Kirsan from FIDE, then the world's Continental and National Federations as represented at the recent Board meeting leave FIDE and set up a successor body. Cue lots of money for lawyers though.
Are you seriously suggesting that could be done before it is settled anyway in September?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:12 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:08 pm
Are you seriously suggesting that could be done before it is settled anyway in September?
30th April is when FIDE loses banking facilities. Nothing is settled in September if Kirsan wins re-election. Admittedly he has to do that without the support of the long standing group that have now turned against him.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:40 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:49 am
How do I delete a post?
Interesting. There used to be a delete button for your own posts but it seems to have gone. There is still an edit button. I'd suggest you do that and change the contents of the post you wish to delete to something like "deleted"

Edit: and now I see that this post does have a delete button, so presumably it disappears after a short time.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:40 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:49 am
How do I delete a post?
Interesting. There used to be a delete button for your own posts but it seems to have gone. There is still an edit button. I'd suggest you do that and change the contents of the post you wish to delete to something like "deleted"

Edit: and now I see that this post does have a delete button, so presumably it disappears after a short time.
Thanks, with a bit of help I've worked it out. All of your assertions are correct.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:07 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:41 am
When Andrew Paulson wanted to join Azmai's ticket he ran into an absolute firestorm - that was when Danailov was the ECF favourite and Azmai the devil incarnate. How things change.
I doubt the allegations of rating fraud, taking moves back and head butting will be entirely forgotten. Is there likely to be a challenger though?
The ECF supported Danailov over Azmai; supporting Danailov was a mistake then, and supporting Azmai looks like a mistake now, in my view (although I do so the viewpoint that the ECF being involved with ECU and FIDE might improve both)

Isn't Nigel Short particularly against Azmai, or is my memory failing me yet again?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:05 pm
Isn't Nigel Short particularly against Azmai, or is my memory failing me yet again?
They had a battle in FIDE's Ethics Commission over Nigel's use of the word "dunderhead" to describe Azmai. Presumably since he gave up his post as FIDE Delegate, Nigel has little present day influence on who the ECF supports or doesn't support.

Don't hold your breath, but are the members of the ECF likely to be given an opportunity to endorse or otherwise what might be presumed to be the Board's favoured candidates for the FIDE and ECU elections?

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm

How many members of the ECF actually want the opportunity to 'endorse or otherwise' the Board's decision in this matter? There are reasons why you have a Board to make decisions, and it normally involves acting in a timely and informed manner. Permanent and perpetual consultation has to be proportionate to the issue in hand, and given that the clear majority of members remain largely silent on issues of more direct impact, I doubt this bit of global chess politicking will move them to act otherwise. You are always welcome to express your view to the board, but I don't think council really needs to take a view.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:05 pm

I believe he's worked with him in the past, so that would be the usual pattern
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:22 pm

The story is starting to reach the mainstream media.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... hess-head/

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:36 pm

He "told The Telegraph" that he would not resign. In an exclusive interview?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:38 am

For afficionados only ( although I know there are a few of you out there ).

One PB member missing from the meeting, and who therefore did not sign the letter respectfully suggesting that the FIDE President should sling his hook, was VP, and President of the Russian Chess President, Andrey Filatov. However, an article pubished in Russia suggests that Filatov is not viewed as a Kirsan ally. It is in Russian and is quite long, so the translation is an attachment.

http://in-sider.org/politic/item/762-rs ... ssii?.html
Attachments
Kirsan v Filatov.pdf
(485.99 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:40 am

I had not considered myself a FIDE politics aficionado until now, but I was wondering about Filatov.

To be honest I was a bit surprised when I saw Makro was standing, I though the positioning last year was the the President needed to be someone with really substantial financial backing. So Makro would probably want to keep his current role but working for a new president. My understanding - perhaps wrongly - is Makro is well regarded by many people who vote in FIDE elections but does not have Sinquefield/ Filatov level financial backing.

I couldn't think of a tactful way to ask Nick what he had heard :-)