FIDE internal fighting

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

FIDE internal fighting

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:06 pm

From the FIDE website.

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... board.html
He (Makro) advised that the situation was becoming very nasty and personal and that, together with Prof. Adrian Siegel, Zurab Azmaiparashvili and Geoffrey Borg, he was referring Mr. Ilyumzhinov, Willy Icklicki, Lewis Ncube, Berik Balgabaev and Silvio Danailov to the Ethics Commission for spreading lies and defamatory statements.
They've also asked the President to resign, else they will lose banking facilities by 30th April
The PB recognised the dire operational situation FIDE was in because the President was under US Sanctions and passed the following resolution to ask the President to resign by 16 votes to 1 with no abstentions:
Makro will stand for President.
During the meeting, the Deputy President advised that he had been approached by the majority of the Presidential Board and many delegates asking him to run for President to sort out the present problems and ensure stability in FIDE. Therefore he announced his candidacy for FIDE President at the forthcoming elections in Batumi on 3rd October, 2018.

NickFaulks

Re: FIDE internal fighting

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:13 pm

It appears from the photos that the ECF will have a seat at the table.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:30 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:13 pm
It appears from the photos that the ECF will have a seat at the table.
Also at the ECU. This hasn't received much publicity.

http://www.chessdom.com/zurab-azmaipara ... ions-2018/.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:01 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:30 pm
I'm not sure when the posts are up for re-election, but you have to wonder how many hats the ECF's International Director and FIDE Delegate is allowed to wear before running into conflicts of interest ?

I doubt the ECF Governance has ever considered the matter, but should there be protocols about how and when ECF Directors should stand for elected international posts?

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:18 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:01 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
I'm not sure when the posts are up for re-election, but you have to wonder how many hats the ECF's International Director and FIDE Delegate is allowed to wear before running into conflicts of interest ?
I'd say it's the responsibilities of the hats more than the number. Two hats would be enough to create a conflict of interest, if one hat was responsible for grabbing as much gold as possible from FIDE, and the other hat was on FIDE's Gold Distribution Committee.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:26 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:01 pm
NickFaulks wrote:

I doubt the ECF Governance has ever considered the matter, but should there be protocols about how and when ECF Directors should stand for elected international posts?
Without knowing any details, I would think having an English presence at the international decision tables can only be good for English chess.
I find it VERY ODD that the first reaction to the news is about finding ways to curb all this from the start.

At the same time, if the prevailing opinion here seems that chess should not receive any government funding reserved for sport activities, I can see how an official trying to be active at the international level must be stopped.

On a more serious note, Malcom Pein has been very close to the Kasparov camp and the grand chess tour organization; it can only be a good sign to see him active on the FIDE side as well.

All the best to Malcom Pein for his activities within FIDE and ECU!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:41 am

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:26 am
I find it VERY ODD that the first reaction to the news is about finding ways to curb all this from the start.
You don't really. I am somewhat surprised, though, by the fact that there has been so little comment in general, enthusiastic or otherwise. When Andrew Paulson wanted to join Azmai's ticket he ran into an absolute firestorm - that was when Danailov was the ECF favourite and Azmai the devil incarnate. How things change.
At the same time, if the prevailing opinion here seems that chess should not receive any government funding reserved for sport activities
No, it doesn't. So far as I can tell, the prevailing opinion here is that enough effort has been expended banging heads against this brick wall and it is time to concentrate on things that are more practical.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:07 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:41 am
When Andrew Paulson wanted to join Azmai's ticket he ran into an absolute firestorm - that was when Danailov was the ECF favourite and Azmai the devil incarnate. How things change.
I doubt the allegations of rating fraud, taking moves back and head butting will be entirely forgotten. Is there likely to be a challenger though?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:41 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:07 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:41 am
When Andrew Paulson wanted to join Azmai's ticket he ran into an absolute firestorm - that was when Danailov was the ECF favourite and Azmai the devil incarnate. How things change.
I doubt the allegations of rating fraud, taking moves back and head butting will be entirely forgotten. Is there likely to be a challenger though?
According to Crime Russia this morning there will be a challenger....Ilyumzhinov.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:44 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:07 am
Is there likely to be a challenger though?
Probably not a credible one, but surely the point is whether the ECF are happy to have one of their own on his ticket. They weren't last time, but are entitled to change their minds if there is good reason.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:44 am

duplicate post removed
Last edited by NickFaulks on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:46 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:41 am
According to Crime Russia this morning there will be a challenger....Ilyumzhinov.
That's FIDE, not ECU.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:47 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:41 am
I was thinking rather more of whether there would be a contested election for President of the ECU. But can FIDE operate without a bank account?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:49 am

How do I delete a post?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:51 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:47 am
But can FIDE operate without a bank account?
Kirsan clearly hopes not, but probably some emergency arrangement can be scrambled.