Page 1 of 5

Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:52 am
by Chris Rice
Starts tomorrow and the field isn't as strong as we've seen it in the past.

First round draw: http://chess-results.com/tnr320349.aspx?lan=1

Offical site: http://www.hastingschess.com/

Masters games kick off at 2.15pm

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:45 am
by Barry Sandercock
Starts today.

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:39 pm
by Alex McFarlane

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:41 pm
by Graham Borrowdale
A good win by Adam Taylor against the top seed

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:47 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Graham Borrowdale wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:41 pm
A good win by Adam Taylor against the top seed
Not the only win by the lower rated player either. But with accelerated pairings the rating difference wasn't much more than 200 on most boards.

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:10 pm
by John Moore
Are the Hastings games being shown anywhere else - I have tried ChessBomb and Chess24. It's just I really don't want the board filling about 90% of the screen as it does on the Hastings website. That just makes scrolling up and down a bit of a pain and I can't go full screen because I need to have access to other stuff on my task bar.

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:37 pm
by Stewart Reuben
I am in Tenerife. The weather is a tad warmer than Hastings.
But how do I get Chris Ward's live commentary?

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:57 pm
by ThomasThorpe
Hastings Games will be shown on Chess24 from tomorrow - we tried to set it up in time for today but was unsuccessful!

I don't think Chris Ward's commentary is being broadcast online this year Stewart, I'm afraid

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:06 pm
by John Moore
ThomasThorpe wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:57 pm
Hastings Games will be shown on Chess24 from tomorrow - we tried to set it up in time for today but was unsuccessful!

I don't think Chris Ward's commentary is being broadcast online this year Stewart, I'm afraid
Thomas - thanks very much. I shall continue to scroll up and down until tomorrow!

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:12 pm
by ThomasThorpe
Scratch that - Chess24 link below!!!

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... 2018/2/1/1

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:58 pm
by David Clayton
Stewart Reuben wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:37 pm
I am in Tenerife. The weather is a tad warmer than Hastings.
But how do I get Chris Ward's live commentary?
Hello Stewart

Unfortunately, the internet connection at Hastings hasn't proved robust enough to stream video.

But we are providing you with more live games than ever before.

Best wishes from Hastings.

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:26 pm
by Barry Sandercock
Chris Rice wrote:
The field isn't as strong as we've seen it in the past.

Why have no foreign G.M.'s entered this year ?

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:31 pm
by Alex McFarlane
There are 5 foreign GMs (though one lives in Britain).

Two others withdrew due to visa problems.

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:33 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Barry Sandercock wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:26 pm
Why have no foreign G.M.'s entered this year ?
Top 13 seeds

Code: Select all

1		GM	Sengupta Deep	5008352	IND	2586
2		GM	Fier Alexandr	2107139	BRA	2576
3		IM	Stany G.A.	5029104	IND	2502
4		GM	Vakhidov Jakhongir	14201801	UZB	2500
5		GM	Gormally Daniel W	406465	ENG	2477
6		IM	Lou Yiping	8603928	CHN	2462
7		IM	Das Arghyadip	5003610	IND	2451
8		GM	Hebden Mark L	400084	ENG	2445
9		GM	Cherniaev Alexander	4117301	RUS	2436
10		IM	Wegerle Joerg	4644743	GER	2421
11		GM	Arkell Keith C	400270	ENG	2416
12		GM	Kristiansen Jens	1400061	DEN	2415
13		GM	Lalic Bogdan	409081	CRO	2415
Hastings is usually tight on finance, perhaps that is all they could afford. It's not totally devoid of foreign GMs.

Re: Hastings 28 Dec 2017 - 7 Jan 2018

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:46 pm
by Barry Sandercock
Sorry, my mistake !