Dubai Open 3 to 11 April 2017
Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:47 am
Gawain appears to be joint 4th seed with Anton Guijarro, behind Korobov, Areshchenko and Safarli
website
website
The independent home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
https://ecforum.org.uk/
Yes this is the one. Tonight there will be a break for Maghrib prayer at 6.38pm I believe and those that are involved will take their sandals off and pray for about 10 minutes. At the end of the prayers they go in the bathroom and wash their feet in the sink. Those that are not praying mill around the foyer, chatting, smoking, thinking about their positions etc. Couple of years ago I watched Wenjun Ju deep in concentration bouncing off the walls. Clearly there is scope for cheating and I don't say that lightly as this tournament has had more than its fair share of it. While I was working in Dubai it was the only convenient tournament for me but I never liked it particularly for the pairing system where I often was playing opponents 200-400 points either side of me and the prayer break which as I've commented in previous years, was often abused. I spoke to Gawain about the tournament a few years ago and he liked it for the strength of the tournament but wasn't particularly pleased with the conditions he got. Hope that's improved for him anyway.Tim Harding wrote: Is Dubai the tournament where they adjourn the games for a prayer break at 6pm?
Thanks for letting me know Paul, I haven't played there since 2015. That was a pretty spectacular chess club they used to play in I'm surprised they moved. Glad they got rid of the prayer break, if they would only dump the pairing system as well! However, having said that, I note that in this years first round after 27 moves Korobov (2695) is losing to Abbasov (2211) https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... 2017/1/1/1Paul Dargan wrote:I think the prayer break has gone Chris - no sign of it last year. conditions had improved a lot last year - and they're back in the same hotel (JW MArriott in Deira) much better than some of the dives in Deira. It's actually one of my favourite hotels that side of town - maybe I'm biased because I lived in it for a year...
Aren't they using standard Swiss pairings with their usual bouncing effect in tournaments that are both large and with a wide spread between top and bottom ratings?Chris Rice wrote:if they would only dump the pairing system as well!
Yes the rd 1 pairings have vast rating differences. It was not unusual for me to be paired with a 2500+ in one round and then a 1500 in the next so I didn't get a lot of meaningful games and when you are only playing one tournament a year that could be pretty depressing.Roger de Coverly wrote:Aren't they using standard Swiss pairings with their usual bouncing effect in tournaments that are both large and with a wide spread between top and bottom ratings?Chris Rice wrote:if they would only dump the pairing system as well!
Acceleration can postpone that effect, but not eliminate it. The only solution, as frequently seen in the UK and sometimes elsewhere in Europe, is to divide the tournament into two or more parts by rating.Chris Rice wrote: It was not unusual for me to be paired with a 2500+ in one round and then a 1500 in the next so I didn't get a lot of meaningful games and when you are only playing one tournament a year that could be pretty depressing.
I think the organisers didn't want to do that otherwise the locals, particularly the juniors, who are usually rated very low, would never get a chance to either play the top players or even get their ratings up. Their are a number of tournaments in the other emirates such as Abu Dhabi and Al Ain where you'll find few local people rated over 1800 but they are pretty good and and if you're not careful, as a friend of mine who was also working over there, John Bennett wasn't, you could lose a bundle of Elo.Roger de Coverly wrote: The only solution, as frequently seen in the UK and sometimes elsewhere in Europe, is to divide the tournament into two or more parts by rating.