Page 1 of 2

2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:05 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
This is a second poll for the Candidates 2016, following on from the initial poll (where Caruana [13] and Nakamura [10] took most of the 39 votes). This poll will have to run for a shorter time as the event is in progress, so I'll set it to run for four days, ending at this time on Tuesday (the rest day between rounds 9 and 10). There will still be five rounds left after that.

Today is the second rest day, between rounds 6 and 7.

Current standings are:

1-2. Karjakin, Aronian (4/6)
3. Anand (3.5)
4-5. Caruana, Giri (3)
6. Svidler (2.5)
7-8. Topalov, Nakamura (2)

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:22 pm
by Matthew Turner
I went for Giri before, so I'll do so again. It seems to me that all we (probably) know so far is that Svidler, Topalov and Nakamura are out of contention and that Anand is a much more serious contender than many of us would have expected.
I would also say that the event hasn't grasped my imagination in the same way that the London candidates did. Whilst I haven't had a lot of time to look at the games I haven't found them that exciting.

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:31 pm
by Paolo Casaschi
I see no reason to change my original prediction of a victory for Anand.

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:31 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Am surprised no-one has gone for Caruana yet. I think if things click for him, he may get on a roll. He seems close to getting into that form. He would have been my second choice behind Karjakin. Bit surprised Aronian is so popular so far.

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:39 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
I thought about it, tbh - he is certainly capable of doing what Kramnik did in 2013 if it does indeed "click".

Throwing away an almost trivial win against Topalov could well ultimately cost him dear, though :oops:

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:57 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Am surprised no-one has gone for Caruana yet. I think if things click for him, he may get on a roll. He seems close to getting into that form. He would have been my second choice behind Karjakin. Bit surprised Aronian is so popular so far.
I thought that Caruana's time trouble and nerves may be a problem. Having said that my pre tournament tip of Nakamura is looking somewhat wide of the mark :oops: I would love Aronian to win so I'll tip Karjakin to do so :lol:

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:12 pm
by Paolo Casaschi
LawrenceCooper wrote:I would love Aronian to win so I'll tip Karjakin to do so :lol:
You might have jinxed both of then with just one sentence 8)

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:20 pm
by Chris Rice
I agree with Matt Turner. The way the tournament is going it would suit someone playing conservatively, content to draw and picking up the occasional win especially in the later stages. That is Giri's MO. It's quite an exciting tournament as none of the 8 players are ruled out yet though Topalov and Nakamura look badly bruised at the moment.

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:28 pm
by JustinHorton
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Am surprised no-one has gone for Caruana yet. I think if things click for him, he may get on a roll. He seems close to getting into that form. He would have been my second choice behind Karjakin. Bit surprised Aronian is so popular so far.
I can't work out whether Caruana is the next best thing to Carlsen or just the preparation king. If it's the former then yeah, his form might suggest that sooner or later he's going to start winning these positions. If the latter, it might be that his nerves are going to keep on costing him.

Either way I think if either Karjakin or Aronian adds to their balance, Caruana will be too far back. But he might get to +2. Ditto Giri.

Anyway, I've voted for Karjakin on the grounds of nervelessness.

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:44 pm
by Mick Norris
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Am surprised no-one has gone for Caruana yet. I think if things click for him, he may get on a roll. He seems close to getting into that form. He would have been my second choice behind Karjakin. Bit surprised Aronian is so popular so far.
I thought that Caruana's time trouble and nerves may be a problem. Having said that my pre tournament tip of Nakamura is looking somewhat wide of the mark :oops: I would love Aronian to win so I'll tip Karjakin to do so :lol:
He'll be delighted - your selection ability is as good as Wenger's usually :lol:

I have switched from Caruana to Aronian, so that may rule out Levon

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:19 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
Little side-bet for folk if interested:

Will there be an actual proper Berlin in this event?


Also - after you’ve posted "I hope not" and so forth, could somebody tell the last major event (defined as you please) that *didn’t* have at least one main line Berlin Wall in it?

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:40 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Jonathan Bryant wrote: could somebody tell the last major event (defined as you please) that *didn’t* have at least one main line Berlin Wall in it?
It was a big event, if not the strongest, but the December Open at the London Chess Classic didn't feature any, nor despite Luke's efforts did the recorded games at the following Rapidplay. There have been four Berlin attempts in the 4NCL so far, but only one that reached a main line.

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:57 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
I said Giri originally and was tempted to stick with him; but have switched to Karjakin who has been the most convincing so far, and we know from last time that he finishes well. (Had he started like this in 2014, he would have walked it!)

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:55 pm
by PeterFarr
I'll stick with Karjakin, though would like to see Aronian have a go at the title, I feel he deserves a shot.

I'd rather see a French of any variety, but would also be quite happy to see Jonathan's proper Berlin at least once.

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:58 am
by NickFaulks
Dragged in from another thread.
NickFaulks wrote:
Andrew Martin wrote:How to beat the Berlin Defence to the Ruy Lopez:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK4dhB2 ... e=youtu.be
I hope that one's being rushed to Moscow.