2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

The very latest International round up of English news.

Following round 6, who will win the 2016 Candidates Tournament?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:05 pm

Anand
5
19%
Aronian
9
35%
Caruana
1
4%
Giri
2
8%
Karjakin
9
35%
Nakamura
0
No votes
Svidler
0
No votes
Topalov
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10978
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:05 pm

This is a second poll for the Candidates 2016, following on from the initial poll (where Caruana [13] and Nakamura [10] took most of the 39 votes). This poll will have to run for a shorter time as the event is in progress, so I'll set it to run for four days, ending at this time on Tuesday (the rest day between rounds 9 and 10). There will still be five rounds left after that.

Today is the second rest day, between rounds 6 and 7.

Current standings are:

1-2. Karjakin, Aronian (4/6)
3. Anand (3.5)
4-5. Caruana, Giri (3)
6. Svidler (2.5)
7-8. Topalov, Nakamura (2)
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:22 pm

I went for Giri before, so I'll do so again. It seems to me that all we (probably) know so far is that Svidler, Topalov and Nakamura are out of contention and that Anand is a much more serious contender than many of us would have expected.
I would also say that the event hasn't grasped my imagination in the same way that the London candidates did. Whilst I haven't had a lot of time to look at the games I haven't found them that exciting.

User avatar
Paolo Casaschi
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:46 am

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:31 pm

I see no reason to change my original prediction of a victory for Anand.
Last edited by Paolo Casaschi on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10978
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:31 pm

Am surprised no-one has gone for Caruana yet. I think if things click for him, he may get on a roll. He seems close to getting into that form. He would have been my second choice behind Karjakin. Bit surprised Aronian is so popular so far.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:39 pm

I thought about it, tbh - he is certainly capable of doing what Kramnik did in 2013 if it does indeed "click".

Throwing away an almost trivial win against Topalov could well ultimately cost him dear, though :oops:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 8761
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:57 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Am surprised no-one has gone for Caruana yet. I think if things click for him, he may get on a roll. He seems close to getting into that form. He would have been my second choice behind Karjakin. Bit surprised Aronian is so popular so far.
I thought that Caruana's time trouble and nerves may be a problem. Having said that my pre tournament tip of Nakamura is looking somewhat wide of the mark :oops: I would love Aronian to win so I'll tip Karjakin to do so :lol:

User avatar
Paolo Casaschi
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:46 am

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:12 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:I would love Aronian to win so I'll tip Karjakin to do so :lol:
You might have jinxed both of then with just one sentence 8)

Chris Rice
Posts: 3458
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 am

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:20 pm

I agree with Matt Turner. The way the tournament is going it would suit someone playing conservatively, content to draw and picking up the occasional win especially in the later stages. That is Giri's MO. It's quite an exciting tournament as none of the 8 players are ruled out yet though Topalov and Nakamura look badly bruised at the moment.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10566
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Am surprised no-one has gone for Caruana yet. I think if things click for him, he may get on a roll. He seems close to getting into that form. He would have been my second choice behind Karjakin. Bit surprised Aronian is so popular so far.
I can't work out whether Caruana is the next best thing to Carlsen or just the preparation king. If it's the former then yeah, his form might suggest that sooner or later he's going to start winning these positions. If the latter, it might be that his nerves are going to keep on costing him.

Either way I think if either Karjakin or Aronian adds to their balance, Caruana will be too far back. But he might get to +2. Ditto Giri.

Anyway, I've voted for Karjakin on the grounds of nervelessness.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

Mick Norris
Posts: 11402
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:44 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Am surprised no-one has gone for Caruana yet. I think if things click for him, he may get on a roll. He seems close to getting into that form. He would have been my second choice behind Karjakin. Bit surprised Aronian is so popular so far.
I thought that Caruana's time trouble and nerves may be a problem. Having said that my pre tournament tip of Nakamura is looking somewhat wide of the mark :oops: I would love Aronian to win so I'll tip Karjakin to do so :lol:
He'll be delighted - your selection ability is as good as Wenger's usually :lol:

I have switched from Caruana to Aronian, so that may rule out Levon
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3452
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:19 pm

Little side-bet for folk if interested:

Will there be an actual proper Berlin in this event?


Also - after you’ve posted "I hope not" and so forth, could somebody tell the last major event (defined as you please) that *didn’t* have at least one main line Berlin Wall in it?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 22665
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: could somebody tell the last major event (defined as you please) that *didn’t* have at least one main line Berlin Wall in it?
It was a big event, if not the strongest, but the December Open at the London Chess Classic didn't feature any, nor despite Luke's efforts did the recorded games at the following Rapidplay. There have been four Berlin attempts in the 4NCL so far, but only one that reached a main line.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 5152
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:57 pm

I said Giri originally and was tempted to stick with him; but have switched to Karjakin who has been the most convincing so far, and we know from last time that he finishes well. (Had he started like this in 2014, he would have walked it!)

PeterFarr
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Horsham, Sussex

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by PeterFarr » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:55 pm

I'll stick with Karjakin, though would like to see Aronian have a go at the title, I feel he deserves a shot.

I'd rather see a French of any variety, but would also be quite happy to see Jonathan's proper Berlin at least once.

NickFaulks
Posts: 9293
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: 2016 Candidates prediction (redux)

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:58 am

Dragged in from another thread.
NickFaulks wrote:
Andrew Martin wrote:How to beat the Berlin Defence to the Ruy Lopez:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK4dhB2 ... e=youtu.be
I hope that one's being rushed to Moscow.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Post Reply