Page 1 of 4
London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:08 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
About two hundred GMs, website promising live games over the weekend, just in case anyone had thought of doing any work...

Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:56 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
I don't suppose there will be many actual surprise results in round 2 either, but there should be some much better games.
He says, to no one in particular.
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:40 pm
by NickFaulks
Jonathan Rogers wrote:I don't suppose there will be many actual surprise results in round 2 either
How about Coleman Lenderman?
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:44 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
We have one early surprise in the win by Barbican regular David Coleman v Lenderman - goodness, that was quite one way traffic

Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:47 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
Unfortunate blunder in Thompson v Hawkins. David Howell struggling to break Adam Taylor.
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:57 pm
by NickFaulks
Luke in difficulties.
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:02 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
Instructive to see David doing it, though.
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:16 pm
by Richard Bates
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Unfortunate blunder in Thompson v Hawkins. David Howell struggling to break Adam Taylor.
Yes one feels that losing the ending took quite a lot of hard work!
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:33 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
David Coleman, 2/2 and the highest TPR today, does not make the live boards now!
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:37 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
Anyway, time for a game. Pick five players for 5/5 today, and see who gets the most.
I'll name Sadler, Bauer, Hawkins, Hammer, Jones
Er, but you've got to enter pretty quickly.
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:41 pm
by Andrew Bak
William Young (1712) beaten a 2102 and a 2207 to go on to 2/2 and be downfloated to former FIDE World Champion Rustam Kasimdzhanov!
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:20 pm
by Mick Norris
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Anyway, time for a game. Pick five players for 5/5 today, and see who gets the most.
I'll name Sadler, Bauer, Hawkins, Hammer, Jones
Er, but you've got to enter pretty quickly.
I would have guessed the in-form Bok, but not sure he's going to survive an encounter with Loz Cooper
Ghasi seems excellent at Rapidplay
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:50 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Anyway, time for a game. Pick five players for 5/5 today, and see who gets the most.
I'll name Sadler, Bauer, Hawkins, Hammer, Jones
Er, but you've got to enter pretty quickly.
Happily no one else entered
I wonder whether Sadler had problems with Summerscale in the mid-1990s: he lost to him in the British in 1997 at the least, and I thought I could recall other defeats, but maybe they were all inflcited by Chris Ward. Anyway... that sort of game explains why people don't resign at rapidplay!
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:59 pm
by John Moore
Carl Strugnell has 3 out of 3! But if you believe Chess Results he has a rapid play rating of 2482. Amazing.
Re: London Chess Classic rapidplay
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:02 pm
by Richard Bates
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Jonathan Rogers wrote:Anyway, time for a game. Pick five players for 5/5 today, and see who gets the most.
I'll name Sadler, Bauer, Hawkins, Hammer, Jones
Er, but you've got to enter pretty quickly.
Happily no one else entered
I wonder whether Sadler had problems with Summerscale in the mid-1990s: he lost to him in the British in 1997 at the least, and I thought I could recall other defeats, but maybe they were all inflcited by Chris Ward. Anyway... that sort of game explains why people don't resign at rapidplay!
God knows what Bxh7 was all about! I wonder if he hallucinated and thought the rook was on g1?