Page 1 of 1
Gibraltar 2016
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:59 pm
by Tim Harding
I see the following has recently been announced at
http://www.gibraltarchesscongress.com/:
"The organisers of the Tradewise Gibraltar Chess Festival wish to advise that due to exceptionally heavy demand the Masters tournament is oversubscribed, and places in it can no longer be offered.
Entries to the Morning events are still being accepted."
There are 175 entrants listed for the Masters of which I am number 162 in rating (sob).
Last year there would have been quite a few more lower than me (only I left it too late to enter) but it seems the event gets stronger and closes earlier each year.
Re: Gibraltar 2016
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:31 pm
by Tim Harding
As of yesterday the list of Gibraltar Masters entries had 200 names, which may be the final list. Headed by Nakamura, Anand, MVL, Li Chao, Harikrishna, Wojtaszek and Yu Yangyi.
There are now a few more lower rated than me. Quite a few British entries headed by Short, Howell and Jones. Also Jovanka Houska going for one of the good Ladies prizes.
I'm pleased to see a couple of former opponents from the 1970s in there: Jim Tarjan (very active returnee to chess in recent months) and Robert Bellin.
Re: Gibraltar 2016
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:08 pm
by Alan Walton
Hi, normally the limit of players is approximately 250 (127 boards last year), therefore unless any changes to space available I expect the number to be around that
I have been told that there is a significant waiting list for entrants as well
If you are rated below 2050 expect to be playing in the basement alot (unless you are having a very good tournament)
Re: Gibraltar 2016
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:10 pm
by MJMcCready
Tim Harding wrote:I see the following has recently been announced at
http://www.gibraltarchesscongress.com/:
"The organisers of the Tradewise Gibraltar Chess Festival wish to advise that due to exceptionally heavy demand the Masters tournament is oversubscribed, and places in it can no longer be offered.
Entries to the Morning events are still being accepted."
There are 175 entrants listed for the Masters of which I am number 162 in rating (sob).
Last year there would have been quite a few more lower than me (only I left it too late to enter) but it seems the event gets stronger and closes earlier each year.
They must be doing something right as that tournament is becoming seriously strong now. Nice to Anand out of his comfort zone and playing in an open for once.
Re: Gibraltar 2016
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:11 pm
by JustinHorton
Tim Harding wrote:I'm pleased to see a couple of former opponents from the 1970s in there: Jim Tarjan.
Unless I'm missing somebody, I think he may be the strongest player ever to be a professional librarian?
Re: Gibraltar 2016
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:35 pm
by Tim Harding
Just three weeks to go before Gibraltar starts. The entry lists were updated today:
http://www.gibraltarchesscongress.com/
246 players listed for the Masters.
Can anyone who has played in the past please tell me if the electrical sockets in the Caleta Hotel are British 3-pin or continental 2-pin?
Re: Gibraltar 2016
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:53 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
British 3-pin.
Re: Gibraltar 2016
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:55 pm
by Mike Truran
What else? The Gibraltarians wouldn't be seen dead with that mainland Europe two-pin rubbish.

Re: Gibraltar 2016
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:17 pm
by Tim Harding
IM Jack Rudd wrote:British 3-pin.
That's what I thought. So I don't have to pack my adaptors. More room for chess stuff (not very much, mind you).
Top UK entries: D. Howell, N. Short, G. Jones, J. Houska and veteran champion Robert Bellin. Also a few forum regulars I think.
Dominic Lawson is playing the morning Challengers each week, but not the Masters.