ACO WORLD AMATEUR CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:12 am
I got back from playing at the World Amateur Chess Championships at the Helona Resort in Kos last night. This is the one organised by the Amateur Chess Organisation (ACO). It’s a beach holiday combined with chess. There are seven sections. Nine rounds in total, five morning only days and two days with double rounds. There’s a rest day in the middle with an organised coach tour, culminating in a Greek-style party on the dining room terrace. All bouzouki and sousta! There were 240 entries from 29 countries, but about 50% were from Germany. Lots of players came with their partners, so I’d guess overall numbers reached around 350. Just a tiny number of juniors, largely from Poland. Games are not rated. Grades for determining which section you play are based on the higher of your FIDE or national grades at the moment of entering. There’s a discount of at least €150 for early entry.
This year there were Blitz events in the evening, if you enjoy that sort of thing. A Greek and a German Grand Master gave Simuls one night. The Greek GM was available to give post-match analysis of games, and he also gave several lectures (although I found these a little dull). Everything was conducted in English (sometimes repeated in German), even though the British contingent was small, and one of them resides in Berlin. We were able to wave the flag for Cambridge’s Stephen Pride, the most prolific standard play chess player in England, who finished on equal points with the Latvian winner of the 1601-1800 section, only losing out on a ‘World Title’ by the tiebreaker.
The Helona (translates to Turtle) Resort is the best foreign Hotel I’ve experienced by a long chalk. The rooms are immaculate and the food is amazing. In fact the food fits the super-excellent category. The biggest cheer at the awards presentation was for the Chef! There’s a huge swimming pool, although you can pay extra and have a small private pool or share one with two other rooms. The beach, which is fine without being great, is about three minutes walk from the Reception. This was the 4th ACO World Amateur Championships, with previous venues in Rhodes, Crete and Dubai. Next year the ACO will break with the hopping around tradition and return to the same Hotel in Kos (it really is that good), starting on 7 May 2016. They are also going to allow up to two half-point byes next year.
I’m already on the “probable” list and I couldn’t make a higher recommendation. I’d say give this serious thought for a holiday next year.
http://amateurchess.com
This year there were Blitz events in the evening, if you enjoy that sort of thing. A Greek and a German Grand Master gave Simuls one night. The Greek GM was available to give post-match analysis of games, and he also gave several lectures (although I found these a little dull). Everything was conducted in English (sometimes repeated in German), even though the British contingent was small, and one of them resides in Berlin. We were able to wave the flag for Cambridge’s Stephen Pride, the most prolific standard play chess player in England, who finished on equal points with the Latvian winner of the 1601-1800 section, only losing out on a ‘World Title’ by the tiebreaker.
The Helona (translates to Turtle) Resort is the best foreign Hotel I’ve experienced by a long chalk. The rooms are immaculate and the food is amazing. In fact the food fits the super-excellent category. The biggest cheer at the awards presentation was for the Chef! There’s a huge swimming pool, although you can pay extra and have a small private pool or share one with two other rooms. The beach, which is fine without being great, is about three minutes walk from the Reception. This was the 4th ACO World Amateur Championships, with previous venues in Rhodes, Crete and Dubai. Next year the ACO will break with the hopping around tradition and return to the same Hotel in Kos (it really is that good), starting on 7 May 2016. They are also going to allow up to two half-point byes next year.
I’m already on the “probable” list and I couldn’t make a higher recommendation. I’d say give this serious thought for a holiday next year.
http://amateurchess.com