Anand - Carlsen venue and date
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 am
The independent home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
https://ecforum.org.uk/
Or London!AustinElliott wrote:Hmm - split the difference / somewhere neutral / in between.....
I'm betting on Dubai.
FIDE asked me to create a new company (Agon Ltd.) that would only deal with chess; ‘agon’ means ‘struggle’ in ancient Greek. They have granted this company the long-term rights to organize, promote and commercialize the World Chess Championship cycle.
I take issue with that, Anand will be under extreme pressure playing at home, I don't think it did Topalov any favours in BulgariaChris Rice wrote:Both players are getting a raw deal but clearly Carlsen is the one with the odds being stacked against him.
I wasn't having a go at the Indians Mick, I'm sure they wouldn't stoop so low as to stick a few extra chillies into Magnus's Chicken Tikka Masala, just FIDE's way of going about things. Carlsen's team clearly tried to convince FIDE not to hold the match there http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/fide- ... th-chennai so they must definitely feel that the odds are stacked against him.Mick Norris wrote:I take issue with that, Anand will be under extreme pressure playing at home, I don't think it did Topalov any favours in BulgariaChris Rice wrote:Both players are getting a raw deal but clearly Carlsen is the one with the odds being stacked against him.
I don't think Carlsen has to fear any dirty tricks from the Indians (which has been the issue in the past with home venues)
I don't think the climate will be any issue in the playing venue or his hotel, and I don't think he will have any food problems either
In fact, if it gives him a sense of injustice, it might help him
Carlsen, if playing in India, would take his own chef, and would be unlikely to suffer too much internal strife!Jonathan Rogers wrote:Could a more assiduous researcher than me find out whether Carlsen has ever played in India before? I believe that first-time visitors often have, er, health effects ... and we wouldn't want a world championship to disintegrate about arguments on whether one player was spending too much time in the loo![]()
I still believe that nothing is truly settled yet. FIDE's capacity to repeat past mistakes is astounding. Has anyone in FIDE asked themselves exactly what it was that so annoyed Nigel Short that he and Kasparov played outside FIDE in 1993, with the consequence that FIDE has, after 1990, arguably only annointed the truly undisputed title holder since 2009 (the winner of Kramnik v Anand)?
The trigger was awarding the match without consulting the players. But I had the impression Nigel had disliked Campomanes ever since Campo had objected to Nigel wearing shorts during a rather hot Candidates tournament in the middle of a French summer.Jonathan Rogers wrote: FIDE's capacity to repeat past mistakes is astounding. Has anyone in FIDE asked themselves exactly what it was that so annoyed Nigel Short that he and Kasparov played outside FIDE in 1993,