Page 1 of 2
English GM Norm candidates
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:01 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Was wondering where the next English GM will be coming from.
The 2400+ active English players who aren't already GMs are as follows:
Richard Pert 2457
Harriet Hunt 2454
Andrew Greet 2451
Richard Palliser 2448
Lawrence Trent 2442
Lorin D'Costa 2441
Adam Hunt 2436
Craig Hanley 2433
Jonathan Hawkins 2429
Andrew Ledger 2429
Karl Mah 2428
Simon Ansell 2427
Jovanka Houska 2419
John Cox 2407
Andrew Martin 2406
It would seem likely that the next one will be from that set.
Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:12 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
IM Jack Rudd wrote:Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Was wondering where the next English GM will be coming from.
The 2400+ active English players who aren't already GMs are as follows:
<snip list>
It would seem likely that the next one will be from that set.
Thanks, Jack. I think Hawkins and Adam Hunt already have (or are close to) GM norms, and possibly others as well. I used to know where to look that up, but can't remember if it is listed anywhere or you have to dig around for it. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:14 pm
by LozCooper
IM Jack Rudd wrote:Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Was wondering where the next English GM will be coming from.
The 2400+ active English players who aren't already GMs are as follows:
Richard Pert 2457 (1 gm norm)
Harriet Hunt 2454
Andrew Greet 2451 (1 gm norm)
Richard Palliser 2448
Lawrence Trent 2442
Lorin D'Costa 2441 (1 gm norm)
Adam Hunt 2436 (2 gm norms)
Craig Hanley 2433
Jonathan Hawkins 2429
Andrew Ledger 2429 (2 gm norms)
Karl Mah 2428
Simon Ansell 2427
Jovanka Houska 2419
John Cox 2407
Andrew Martin 2406 (1 gm norm)
It would seem likely that the next one will be from that set.
I wouldn't bet against Yang-Fan

Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:14 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
Adam Hunt already has two. Jonathan Hawkins doesn't have any, but is in line for one from this season's 4NCL.
Of the rest of my list, I know the following to have at least one:
Richard Pert
Andrew Greet
Andrew Ledger
Andrew Martin
I don't know if any of the others do.
Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:16 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
IM Jack Rudd wrote:Adam Hunt already has two. Jonathan Hawkins doesn't have any, but is in line for one from this season's 4NCL.
Of the rest of my list, I know the following to have at least one:
Richard Pert
Andrew Greet
Andrew Ledger
Andrew Martin
I don't know if any of the others do.
Do you know when they got them? Andrew Martin's one must have been some time ago now? Actually, this I think I can look up on the FIDE website.
http://ratings.fide.com/title_norms.phtml
Thomas Rendle has a GM norm, but at 2396 he just missed out on your list.
Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:17 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
Ledger and Martin both got norms at the 1997 British Championship in Hove.
Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:20 pm
by Alan Walton
I do believe that Thomas Rendle has got one and even maybe two
Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:20 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
IM Jack Rudd wrote:Ledger and Martin both got norms at the 1997 British Championship in Hove.
Want to start a new thread and list all current non-cashed-in GM norms and where they were attained?
EDIT: Ideally, all the posts from my Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:51 pm post onwards could go in the new thread. If I'd known it would have generated so many replies, I'd have started a new thread!
Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:20 pm
by LozCooper
IM Jack Rudd wrote:Ledger and Martin both got norms at the 1997 British Championship in Hove.
Andy Ledger & Adam Hunt both have 2 and several players have one.
Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:23 pm
by LozCooper
Richard Pert 2457 (1 gm norm)
Andrew Greet 2451 (1 gm norm)
Lorin D'Costa 2441 (1 gm norm)
Adam Hunt 2436 (2 gm norms)
Andrew Ledger 2429 (2 gm norms)
Andrew Martin 2406 (1 gm norm)
Tom Rendle 1 gm norm
Graeme Buckley 1 gm norm
Robert Bellin 1 gm norm
Colin Crouch 1 gm norm
Dagne Ciuksyte 1 gm norm
Just switched my lap top off so apologises if I've forgotten anyone

Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:34 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
LozCooper wrote:Richard Pert 2457 (1 gm norm)
Andrew Greet 2451 (1 gm norm)
Lorin D'Costa 2441 (1 gm norm)
Adam Hunt 2436 (2 gm norms)
Andrew Ledger 2429 (2 gm norms)
Andrew Martin 2406 (1 gm norm)
Tom Rendle 1 gm norm
Graeme Buckley 1 gm norm
Robert Bellin 1 gm norm
Colin Crouch 1 gm norm
Dagne Ciuksyte 1 gm norm
Just switched my lap top off so apologises if I've forgotten anyone

Interesting list. Thanks for that. It would be interesting to know the dates of the norms and the peak ratings and ratings at the time of the norms, as some of those players are less likely than others to reach those heights again (in some cases due to diversifying interests), while others are still "on course" so to speak. And as you say, there are up-and-coming names that could shoot past all these. I had been unaware that Ledger, for instance, had 2 norms. Of course, the other requirement is to reach the rating of, is it 2500?
I see at the last Presidential Board meeting (February 2011), Thomas Hinks-Edwards' IM title was confirmed:
http://ratings.fide.com/title_applications.phtml?pb=29
And he is listed as such on the FIDE website:
http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=403938
However, on the ECF website, he is still listed as a FIDE Master:
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=2975
It might just be a delay, but maybe someone here could see if there are plans to update that?
(EDIT: I'm being lazy, I clicked the 'let us know' link and let them, the ECF, know)
I also see that at the next Presidential Board meeting (June 2011), Alex Astaneh Lopez (of Ireland) is due to have his IM title confirmed:
http://ratings.fide.com/title_applications.phtml?pb=30
Couldn't see anything from Wales or Scotland.
Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:42 pm
by Thomas Rendle
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Interesting list. Thanks for that. It would be interesting to know the dates of the norms and the peak ratings and ratings at the time of the norms, as some of those players are less likely than others to reach those heights again (in some cases due to diversifying interests), while others are still "on course" so to speak. And as you say, there are up-and-coming names that could shoot past all these.
.
Mine is from Jan/Feb 2007 - Gibraltar:
http://www.gibraltarchesscongress.com/a ... table.html
not sure about on course - I spend more time coaching but playing these days - however Adam Hunt has shown it is possible to coach and get GM norms so maybe there is still hope.
Yang-Fan must be a reasonable candidate for a GM soon(ish) and maybe some other juniors too, who knows!

Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:15 pm
by Simon Ansell
I have a dodgy norm from a few years ago in the 4N. But I'm 36 so probably shouldn't be included in a list of up-and-coming young players

Will Taylor has more chance than me!
Edit: actually most of that list are in their late 20's/30+, which is a bit depressing...
Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:19 pm
by James Pratt
Bill Hartston has norms from Sarajevo 1976 and the 1978 Olympiad and Andrew Kinsman has one too from the Owen's, lack dates.
Re: European Individual Chess Championship Mar 21st - 3rd Ap
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:11 am
by LozCooper
LozCooper wrote:Richard Pert 2457 (1 gm norm)
Andrew Greet 2451 (1 gm norm)
Lorin D'Costa 2441 (1 gm norm)
Adam Hunt 2436 (2 gm norms)
Andrew Ledger 2429 (2 gm norms)
Andrew Martin 2406 (1 gm norm)
Tom Rendle 1 gm norm
Graeme Buckley 1 gm norm
Robert Bellin 1 gm norm
Colin Crouch 1 gm norm
Dagne Ciuksyte 1 gm norm
Just switched my lap top off so apologises if I've forgotten anyone

Apologies are due to Andrew Kinsman, Michael Hennigan and Charles Cobb who all have one each
