e2e4 Brighton International Congress 23-27 Feb

The very latest International round up of English news.
Sean Hewitt

Re: e2e4 Brighton International Congress 23-27 Feb

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Leonard Barden wrote: But I am curious about the pairings: was it entirely random that the top rated players in this event only meet each other in the last four rounds? It does improve Yang-Fan's chances of halving his way to the norm.
Yang-Fan it appears does not think so. After beating FM Chris Dunworth with white this morning he has just beaten GM Alexander Cherniaev with black to lead the event on 7/7 and make his norm with 2 full rounds to spare. He even turned down a draw offer from GM Cherniaev on move 10!

Well done Yang Fan!!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Well done Yang Fan!!
Hear hear. It's a tremendous result.

He does still of course have to turn up for the two games tomorrow. Not so long ago he would have been dependent on his opponents also turning up, but I believe that under the current FIDE Regulations that's no longer the case.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Brilliant

He has white next against Keith, and might take a 10 move draw to take pole position to win the group, although I'd be surprised if Keith didn't fight to the very end
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Leonard Barden wrote: But I am curious about the pairings: was it entirely random that the top rated players in this event only meet each other in the last four rounds? It does improve Yang-Fan's chances of halving his way to the norm.
Yang-Fan it appears does not think so. After beating FM Chris Dunworth with white this morning he has just beaten GM Alexander Cherniaev with black to lead the event on 7/7 and make his norm with 2 full rounds to spare. He even turned down a draw offer from GM Cherniaev on move 10!

Well done Yang Fan!!
Fantastic. I would have excused him giving the GMs a draw as he was playing for a norm :lol:

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:16 pm

Leaders after round 7:

Masters A: Yang-Fan Zhou 7/7 (IM norm with two rounds to go) Keith Arkell 6.5

Masters B: Danny Gormally 6.5/7

Challengers C: Isaac Craft 6/6 + 1 bye

Challengers D: Michael Prizant 5.5/7

Major E: Kevin Millward 5/6 + 1 bye

Major F: Stephen Prior 5.5/7

Major G: Anna Charpidou 7/7 Mustapha Othman 6.5

Major H: Yang-Jian Zhou 7/7

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:23 am

LozCooper wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:

Well done Yang Fan!!
Fantastic. I would have excused him giving the GMs a draw as he was playing for a norm :lol:
Not if you'd seen the position... :wink:

I'm unsure what was worse - Chernaiev's play in this game as a whole (although the culprit seems to be the single move Qa4), or the move 43...b5?? in the game Lenier-Chernaiev. I suppose at least the latter could have some mitigation due to shortage of time, although maybe it was still worse, since really shortage of time is a factor from move 1 with this time control. Have FIDE completely given up their plan to outlaw it for title events?

There, got my standard gripe in :)

Congratulations to Yang-Fan.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:47 am

Richard Bates wrote:I'm unsure what was worse - Chernaiev's play in this game as a whole (although the culprit seems to be the single move Qa4), or the move 43...b5?? in the game Lenier-Chernaiev. I suppose at least the latter could have some mitigation due to shortage of time, although maybe it was still worse, since really shortage of time is a factor from move 1 with this time control. Have FIDE completely given up their plan to outlaw it for title events?

There, got my standard gripe in :)

Congratulations to Yang-Fan.
The time limit will be allowed until at least 30th June 2013.

I actually think it's the best option in a two rounds a day tournament. I also think it desirable that several of the leading one round a day tournaments (British Championships, Hastings, Tradewise Gibraltar) have opted for the longest of the three options.

Speaking as a not particularly young arbiter, I find the working day generated by both these setups to be quite long enough.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:01 am

David Sedgwick wrote:I also think it desirable that several of the leading one round a day tournaments (British Championships, Hastings, Tradewise Gibraltar) have opted for the longest of the three options.
Are there any UK events at all that use 40/90 + 30 with 30 second increments? Does this handicap players, particularly juniors who have to play this rate in international representative events?

With the 40 moves in 90 minutes plus increment, you can at least pretend that it's an old fashioned 40 in 2 where you are 10 minutes late. With a flat 90 minutes plus increment, it can be very difficult to get the pace of the game correct.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:16 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:Are there any UK events at all that use 40/90 + 30 with 30 second increments? Does this handicap players, particularly juniors who have to play this rate in international representative events?
We did use that time control in August at the Uxbridge International following the temporary banning of G90 + 30 secs. I wouldn't do so again for a two rounds a day tournament.

We scheduled play for 10am and 4pm (with a one hour break). The first day we had a game go on to 10.30pm. In my view starting at 10am and finishing at 10.30pm is too long a day if you want serious chess to be played.

If they do ban G90 + 30 secs in the future, we won't run two rounds a day norm tournaments.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:Are there any UK events at all that use 40/90 + 30 with 30 second increments? Does this handicap players, particularly juniors who have to play this rate in international representative events?
We did use that time control in August at the Uxbridge International following the temporary banning of G90 + 30 secs. I wouldn't do so again for a two rounds a day tournament.

We scheduled play for 10am and 4pm (with a one hour break). The first day we had a game go on to 10.30pm. In my view starting at 10am and finishing at 10.30pm is too long a day if you want serious chess to be played.
Depends where you consider G90+30 'serious'/appropriate for norm tournaments i guess ;) What you arguably gain from less tiredness (although i don't think there's a clear link between speed of time control and tiredness - the longer time controls allow for more in game relaxation and are less likely to generate mentally draining time trouble) you lose from a significant reduction in quality overall, and especially in endgames. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that one shouldn't necessarily come to judgements on the time control because of the extremes. Wimbledon haven't changed their rules because of Isner-Mahut (although i think they should in that case!). The odd game going to 10.30pm doesn't compromise on the chess played in the vast majority of games.
If they do ban G90 + 30 secs in the future, we won't run two rounds a day norm tournaments.
If you compromised on the use of increments then you could consider the 5hr time control (40 in 2 +1/2hr). In the good old days we used to play 40 in 2 + 1hr. Southend is keeping the flag flying on that one. I'll let you know if i'm being nostalgic after i play in it for the first time this year.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Yang-Fan is attempting to grind Keith Arkell down in a Rook and Pawn ending !!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Yang-Fan is attempting to grind Keith Arkell down in a Rook and Pawn ending !!
And is successful. 8/8 now, TPR 2966.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Yang-Fan is attempting to grind Keith Arkell down in a Rook and Pawn ending !!
And is successful. 8/8 now, TPR 2966.
Awesome...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Ouch!

hoisted by my own petard!

So Yang-Fan wins the exhibition and I win the tournament (who was it who first said that?)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:Ouch!

hoisted by my own petard!
Sorry about that mate. But you did say he played well. You've obviously taught him too much!