World Youth Chess Championships 20-30 October

The very latest International round up of English news.
LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:22 pm

http://wycc2010.chessdom.com/
http://www.chess-results.com/tnr39339.a ... -1&wi=1000

England is represented by the following players:

Under 18 open: Robert Lydiard & Jasper Tambini
Under 18 girls: Sheila Dines
Under 16 open: Yang-Fan Zhou
Under 14 boys: Felix Ynojosa
Under 14 girls: Maria Wang
Under 12 boys: Ravi Haria & Tarun Malhotra
Under 12 girls: Anna Wang
Under 10 boys: Mark Kenyon

The players will be coached by GM Simon Williams, IM Lorin D’Costa and myself who will also be Head of Delegation.

In theory I will be updating results on this thread, internet connection etc permitting.
Last edited by LozCooper on Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sean Hewitt

Re: World Youth Chess Championships 20-30 October

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Good luck to all!

Can I ask why we have two competitors in two of the sections and one in the rest? I presume there is a reason.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:43 pm

I thought Felix Ynojosa had returned to Venezuela for good. Should he really be representing England if this is the case?

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Good luck to all!

Can I ask why we have two competitors in two of the sections and one in the rest? I presume there is a reason.
I'll have to refer you to the Junior Director on that one. I think that the under 18 boys shared first in their selection tournament.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks Loz. That makes sense!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:I thought Felix Ynojosa had returned to Venezuela for good. Should he really be representing England if this is the case?
Again that's a question for the Junior Director. If he qualified through this year's selection tournament then I would say he is eligible to play. He's only moved back in the last month or so and hopefully it won't be permanent.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:21 pm

Gosh. Is Tarun Malhotra under 12. I had his age at 13-14.
(though I say on 'you know where' he looked 12).

I met him and we analysed a few of his games at Hamilton.
A bright young piece of chess talent there.
Very impressed. Expect him to do well at this event.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:23 pm

LozCooper wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Good luck to all!

I'll have to refer you to the Junior Director on that one. I think that the under 18 boys shared first in their selection tournament.
It does make sense, but the question is whether we are happy with the weekend tournament qualification system itself (most on this forum are not) and moreover raises the question why we are not sending two qualifiers to all the other events (assuming that it is the parents who would foot the bill, perhaps entirely in the case of the second qualifier). Leonard has also rightly objected in the past to the apparently inflexible policy of not sending any under 8s.

Sigh .... but good luck to our players who are there.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:06 pm

In the U-18 boys, Jasper originally qualified for the Europeans, but was unable to take part there due to a medical condition of his requiring relatively sophisticated hospitals etc to be nearby, just in case. I believe that it was decided pretty much at the time of the trials to come to this arrangement.

As for the situation in the U-12, i have no idea. Too far out of my age group.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:33 pm

I think the situation with the U-12s is that Malhotra won the qualifying tournament, but wasn't eligible at the time, because he was still registered with India.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:35 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I think the situation with the U-12s is that Malhotra won the qualifying tournament, but wasn't eligible at the time, because he was still registered with India.
Is the re-registration process for juniors the same as for adults?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Is the re-registration process for juniors the same as for adults?
The FIDE Regulations on this changed with effect from 1st July 2010. Under the old Regulations there were different provisions for players under the age of 14, but I believe I'm right in saying that in principle there's now no difference.

Please see the short thread at http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1869

Rob Thompson wrote:In the U-18 boys, Jasper originally qualified for the Europeans, but was unable to take part there due to a medical condition of his requiring relatively sophisticated hospitals etc to be nearby, just in case. I believe that it was decided pretty much at the time of the trials to come to this arrangement.
Please also see Jasper Tambini's own comments at http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... &start=105 (last post on page).

Good luck to all the English players in Halkidiki.

Paul Sanders

Post by Paul Sanders » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:59 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I think the situation with the U-12s is that Malhotra won the qualifying tournament, but wasn't eligible at the time, because he was still registered with India.
Tarun did indeed win the qualifying tournament. Peter Purland then offered a possible additional place if anyone highly placed in the European qualifying Grand Prix turned up to his National Chess Junior Squad tournament and did well there, which Ravi duly did.

As the World selection tournament was by invitation of Peter Purland it should probably be assumed that eligibility to play for ENG would have been checked in advance to the Junior director's satisfaction.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Was the additional place just for the U12 boys owing to the strength in that age group?

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 pm

I can report that 10 juniors + 3 coaches + an assortment of parents have arrived safely in Halkidiki via Thessaloniki. Somewhat disappointed to find that our hotel is a 15 minute bus journey from the venue as opposed to all being on one campus but at least the incorrect name on the outbound flight was resolved without problem. After getting up at 5 this morning I am now looking forward to some sleep having returned from the Technical meeting with the welcome news that the zero default rule is not in force. Pairings due around midday tomorrow so not much time for coaching :cry: