39th Olympiad Khanty-Mansiysk 2010 (everything else)

The very latest International round up of English news.
Maxim Devereaux

39th Olympiad Khanty-Mansiysk 2010 (everything else)

Post by Maxim Devereaux » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:16 pm

As said in the other Olympiad thread, one for more general stuff not directly related to the chess.

I'll start the ball rolling here... I'm actually hearing good things about the organisation of the Olympiad from those players who have arrived. The Olympic hotel is apparently very nice, the food is acceptable, and things are rather more promising than could perhaps have been hoped given all of the negative speculation.

I have to say the official website is pretty rubbish still though - a lot of the links don't work. I'm hoping they sort this out before tomorrow, or the live games can be found elsewhere.

Roger de Coverly

Re: 39th Olympiad Khanty-Mansiysk 2010 (everything else)

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Maxim Devereaux wrote: I'll start the ball rolling here... I'm actually hearing good things about the organisation of the Olympiad from those players who have arrived. The Olympic hotel is apparently very nice, the food is acceptable, and things are rather more promising than could perhaps have been hoped given all of the negative speculation.
This is echoed by Shaun Press at http://chessexpress.blogspot.com/
and http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/shaunpress/Olympiad2010#

I was trying to count the ratio between 4-board matches and indoor tennis courts. It seems to be about 36 per court (in the big arena)

Maxim Devereaux

Post by Maxim Devereaux » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: I was trying to count the ratio between 4-board matches and indoor tennis courts. It seems to be about 36 per court (in the big arena)
Yes, that looks correct. I'm not really sure how good those indoor tennis courts will be in terms of noise though - lots of hard, sound-reflective surfaces will create a lot of echoes. You would have thought that they would have put down carpets temporarily, at least in the walkways.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:40 pm

It's interesting that most really strong players don't think favourably of events played in sports halls in remote places with no easy travel access. Yet the Olympiad is being played in a tennis stadium in Siberia...

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Maxim Devereaux wrote:. You would have thought that they would have put down carpets temporarily, at least in the walkways.
The temporary carpeting worked really well in this year's British Championships. The white noise from the fans helped too. Torquay in 2009 could get a bit squeaky, particularly with wheelchairs.
Alex Holowczak wrote:sports halls in remote places with no easy travel access
That's a bit harsh on Canterbury :)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:16 pm

I have heard that they have to pay to use the internet in their hotels, though. So if Loz does update this forum, he may be paying for the privilege!

Maxim Devereaux

Post by Maxim Devereaux » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:19 pm

It's free in the lobby/bar, and paid for if you want it in the room.

If you're going to want it for the duration, the best method seems to be to buy access for a month, and it's 2000 rubles (a little over £40 or so).

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:sports halls in remote places with no easy travel access
That's a bit harsh on Canterbury :)
I found that the 200 miles from Birmingham New Street to Canterbury West (via the London Underground which I had hitherto never used) was much easier to navigate than the 1 mile from Canterbury West to the venue...

David Brock

Post by David Brock » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:30 pm

Think,check and then Move !!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Is it just audio?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:06 am

It might be worthwhile looking at the gingergm site http://www.gingergm.com/ as they seem to have infiltrated a spectator into Siberia (or the bars of Siberia) :)

Maxim Devereaux

Post by Maxim Devereaux » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:37 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:It might be worthwhile looking at the gingergm site http://www.gingergm.com/ as they seem to have infiltrated a spectator into Siberia (or the bars of Siberia) :)
Well, assuming it's the same "Bottom board man" from other articles on the site, a quick cross-check leads me to the conclusion that it's Gary O’Grady (who I don't think I know).

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:45 am

As the pairings are up, I presume the England teams arrived safely? What time are the games and are there live transmissions?

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:37 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I have heard that they have to pay to use the internet in their hotels, though. So if Loz does update this forum, he may be paying for the privilege!
Yes I am paying for the priviliege :cry: Hotel is built, food is okay, the lifts are scary, i had to use the alarm to escape twice yesterday. Everyone made the charter flight without problem. We start in 2 and a bit hours but are still waiting for news on when the buses arrive :? It's a big hotel though so they'll need a lot of buses :(

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 am

LozCooper wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:I have heard that they have to pay to use the internet in their hotels, though. So if Loz does update this forum, he may be paying for the privilege!
Yes I am paying for the priviliege :cry: Hotel is built, food is okay, the lifts are scary, i had to use the alarm to escape twice yesterday. Everyone made the charter flight without problem. We start in 2 and a bit hours but are still waiting for news on when the buses arrive :? It's a big hotel though so they'll need a lot of buses :(
If the zero default time is being used, it might be best for players to use the stairs when making their way to the buses if the lifts are likely to get stuck? Will be looking forward to hearing how things go, so hope you manage to get internet access that is not too costly. Good luck to all the England players in their games!