World Junior 2010 Report

The very latest International round up of English news.
Leonard Barden

Re: World Junior 2010 Report

Post by Leonard Barden » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Leonard Barden wrote:
PaulSanders wrote:As an aside, Jan-Krzysztof Duda from Poland also played, and scored 6.5. He is a FIDE U12.

As a parent of a promising player in Duda's age group I have found the ECF junior approach actively hostile to any ambition to play in strong tournaments or attain a high FIDE rating. Children from other nations are meanwhile achieving a level of excellence many years in advance of their English contemporaries. It has been uncomfortable to have to explain to a child that we can't see how he can achieve his potential within the ECF junior programme.
What is more, the policy which Mr Sanders rightly criticises actively continued in the ECF congress at Canterbury with the barring of U18s from the U21 British title and of U15s from the U16 title, both breaking long standing traditions. I haven't checked whether the same policy was applied to the U14 and U12 championships.

Was the Home Chess Director or any other leading congress official consulted on these controversial changes and do they/did they approve?
There was some discussion of this in, I think, the British Championship 2010 thread - Stewart Reuben mainly expressing his strong opposition to the policy.
Yes, I have found that, and noted that you too opposed the policy.

My original question remains unanswered. Were these changes just a diktat of the ECF Junior Director, or was there consultation with and approval by the Home Chess Director and congress officials?

LozCooper

Re: World Junior 2010 Report

Post by LozCooper » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:24 pm

There is now a link to Yang-Fan's annotated game from round 3.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?p=5762