Page 1 of 1

Leuven Open

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2024 11:47 pm
by Colin Patterson
I noticed that the Leuven Open finished a couple of days ago. Harry Grieve, former British champion, was ranked #1 and seemed to be doing well, but then forfeited his 5th round game, and didn't play in the final 2 rounds.

Anyone know what happened? I hope everything is okay with him.

Re: Leuven Open

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2024 9:12 am
by LawrenceCooper
Colin Patterson wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 13, 2024 11:47 pm
I noticed that the Leuven Open finished a couple of days ago. Harry Grieve, former British champion, was ranked #1 and seemed to be doing well, but then forfeited his 5th round game, and didn't play in the final 2 rounds.

Anyone know what happened? I hope everything is okay with him.
He had drawn his previous two games against lower rated players and with him aiming for 2500 his rating is very important to him. His next event will probably be the 4NCL.

Re: Leuven Open

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2024 5:33 pm
by Colin Patterson
Thanks Lawrence. It's a tricky call, I suppose. Venturing forth and taking the consequences might damage your rating short term. Yet, If you don't play very often and cut your losses like that, then the fear must be that you don't get enough practice and rhythm to consistently beat those lower rated players.

Well, good luck to him. He clearly has much potential, and is still young.

Re: Leuven Open

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2024 12:37 am
by NickFaulks
If, as it appears, he defaulted by simply not turning up for the round, that would be very poor behaviour which reflects badly on English chess. Sadly not unique among our young players.