European Team Championship November 2023

The very latest International round up of English news.
Ian Thompson

Re: European Team Championship November 2023

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:02 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:36 am
I wonder if youth and potential to improve is a factor.
If you look at the selection criteria linked to above then "development potential" is a tie-break criterion.
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:36 am
How far down the rating list would people here go if you were on the selection committee?
To me, "[Expected] Performance against opponents similar to those they are likely to face in the event" ought to be the most important consideration, so you keep going until you're as sure as you can be that you've found the 5 available players who will score the most points in total.

Paul Heaton

Post by Paul Heaton » Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:50 pm

The teaser for the latest Chess Monthly has an interview with Vitiugov. His answer to place of residence: “Here and there”

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0478/ ... 1696328908

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:31 am

Tim Wall put this up on the British Chess News Facebook page;

‘This cri de coeur has just been posted on Facebook by GM Daniel Fernandez. It is a sad indictment of the English chess scene that someone so talented should be thinking of quitting the game for good. Recent selection decisions on national teams and other tournaments have clearly had an impact on Daniel and his fellow twenty-something professionals. Members of the ECF Board and Selection Committee should read this very carefully…

‘Chess is s**t for self-esteem because you're always comparing yourself to people one rung up on the hamster wheel... [yes, another DF quitting status]

I've objectively had one of the best 8-month periods of my life in chess, starting at 2480 in Cambridge in February and finishing now at 2540 in Serbia. I extended the 'speed run' for as long as possible. I largely stayed off social media, focused on avoiding tilt, and made conscious choices of who I wanted in my life, both chess-wise and otherwise. I proved that I wasn't completely washed up (not least to myself) and for sure there were other people also thinking about my potential during this time.

Yet I failed at some critical moments: I didn't put away Hans Niemann in the National Open, I didn't make a respectable stab at the British in the final rounds, and I didn't make it to the European Teams (weird though that selection process was, but story for another day.) All three of those things put together are not simple to get over in a rush, and may be God's or the universe's way of sending me a message that now is time for another think. It always comes back to this clear three-way choice:

1) Descend into the Gormally-Lalic Pit of Despair (GLAPOD);
2) quit chess for real; or
3) go into the tank, work both on chess and other things, and give it another shot in a few months.

The first is the easiest to do. The world is full of grumbling old GMs.
The second is not easiest but may be wise, to restart the career I jettisoned a few months ago (hopefully in a startup direction) and recognise that I don't have enough energy for everything.

So far at each crossroads I have always chosen the third, after increasing amounts of consideration each time, because I am not a spring chicken anymore and want to do something impactful with my life.

But this time who knows, and while I'm not going to announce a firm end date to my chess career (as per my usual formula of "THIS IS IT! I'M LEAVING NOW! I MEAN IT!), I will give myself an end date to my ambitions of becoming better at the game: latest September 2024. Ambition is all very well. But when (not if!) it runs out, what is the backup?

Some of you know that I was accepted at the University of Roehampton to train as a counsellor. After consideration I have deferred that for a year, firstly because I'm not ready to give advice to anyone, secondly to cross some items off the bucket list, and thirdly in case I do want to get this chess show on the road again next spring and summer.

Much has been said about the decline of British chess, and while it is a shame for the scene itself, it might be good for the society as a whole that those with the choice of becoming (semi-)professional are, at the very least, taking a good look around them before diving headfirst into a space which can at times be unfriendly, unrewarding and (at least apparently) zero-sum.’

There was quite a serious comment from one of the chess parents of a likely next generation English professional player in the comments too;

‘This post really struck a chord with me. The difficulty with chess is that it is not possible to have a straight line of progress - there are mini setbacks (like not getting selected) bad tournaments, bad days, inexplicable bad moves, that pepper the overall trajectory of improvement.
But i’m not sure if it is a fulfilling stand alone career unless you are at the very top, and who gets there?
I have 2 talented chess obsessed teenage sons, one in particular I think would like to be a professional. There is very little support and guidance, except from me and I don’t really know what I am taking about.
But my fear would be he would be writing a post like this - have achieved as much as Daniel and still feel s**t.
Daniel - from what I have heard about you, you are an absolute class act, a properly lovely guy. I hope you find a solution to this that you are properly satisfied and at peace with.‘

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:15 pm

While not wanting to make light of this (which is clearly something that Daniel Fernandez is agonising over, and I hope he can work out the best way forward and get good advice), I had to chuckle at the Gormally-Lalic Pit of Despair (GLAPOD) bit!

If it helps, I have always liked his (Fernandez's) writings on chess, and have enjoyed his articles and other musings. It is always refreshing to have people who write about more than just the chess, and give context to what they are writing about.

It may not help much, but I did wonder what was meant by "career I jettisoned a few months ago" and the reference to training as a counsellor at Roehampton (I am vaguely familiar with that university, living in that general area of London). I know Daniel studied at Cambridge (I don't know what subject) and that he had trained as a "time series analyst" (this is from his quite old now ChessBase author profile). The general impression I get (I should say here, I don't know Daniel personally) is that he has a lot of interests and this can conflict with the "do something impactful with my life" bit that he said - unless you are a genuine polymath and can be brilliant at lots of things, it is difficult to be really good at more than one thing (though on re-reading, I think maybe he means training in a career that involves helping others, as opposed to scaling the heights in chess).

Having said that, you don't have to focus on a single area to be impactful. It is possible to develop portfolios in various areas and build slowly. I am saying that as someone (and I don't usually talk about this on this forum) who chose to start a new 'career' during the pandemic. I say career in quote marks as this involved a return to university (to a completely different subject to the one I studied many years earlier) and while difficult at times it was absolutely the right thing to do and has set me off in new directions (some of which are still developing).

I was trying to think of a suitable way to end this post, but will just say that life-long learning (by which I mean ongoing study) is something that chess players do in some sense engage in, though I may be stretching the concept a bit there. Top-level chess players probably see their ongoing studying of chess more as "work" and "career development" than "learning". Or maybe they just see it as trying to understand chess!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:50 am

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:20 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:50 am
Chess-results now has the squad lists for both sections:
  • Overview for team ENG
    SNo Name FED Rtg Pts. Rk.
    50 GM Vitiugov Nikita ENG 2711 0 50 Open
    51 GM Howell David W L ENG 2676 0 51 Open
    52 GM Adams Michael ENG 2670 0 52 Open
    53 GM Mcshane Luke J ENG 2626 0 53 Open
    54 GM Haria Ravi ENG 2522 0 54 Open
    48 IM Houska Jovanka ENG 2340 0 48 Women
    49 WIM Yao Lan ENG 2311 0 49 Women
    50 IM Hunt Harriet V ENG 2316 0 50 Women
    51 WGM Toma Katarzyna ENG 2224 0 51 Women
    52 FM Kalaiyalahan Akshaya ENG 2168 0 52 Women

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:49 pm

Chessbase preview
Extremely competitive European Team Championship to start in Budva
Defending open champions Ukraine not playing, according to Peter Heine Nielsen
The Chess Federation of Ukraine has announced that they are not going to participate in the upcoming European Team Championship, despite being the reigning Champions. One of the reasons being, that some of the potential candidates for their team, is serving at the front.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:13 am

England playing Georgia in the first round. England Women playing Belgium.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:34 am

Pairings out

Jovanka and Mickey not playing today, so debut for Nikita Vitiugov

David Howell black against Jobava

Good luck to the England teams

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:34 pm

David Howell quote -

"Today was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my career. Not only did the arbiter not know the laws of chess, but he patted me on my bum while trying to usher me out of the playing hall. Surely this is harassment?"

https://twitter.com/DavidHowellGM/statu ... ode%3Dtrue

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:14 pm

The results are a 3.5-0.5 win for the Women's team (Lan Yao, Harriet Hunt, and Katarzyna Toma with the wins). A narrow 2.5-1.5 win for the Open team. Luke McShane got the win, though David Howell was winning but presumably not enough time left to be sure of running with his king from the 'perpetual'.

Azerbaijan lost in the Open round 1! :shock:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:52 pm

Yes, Shak lost, good result for Denmark

2nd seeds Romania drew

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:05 pm

And Martin Mitchell got a good draw for Scotland.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:34 pm

England women play France next

The Open team plays Czech Republic

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:02 pm

I am presuming from the final moves (with the superfluous extra king move) that David was trying to claim threefold repetition and the arbiter did not follow the correct procedure, or something similar happened?

The route out of the threefold repetition comes after the third of four positions that repeat in succession, so if you were to try and gain time, you would need to decide on move 35 to play 35...Kh6 rather than 35...Kg8, after the initial 32.Nf6+.

That always confuses me slightly and I tend to spend as much time working out how many times I can repeat as I would gain on the clock, if not more...