Alexandra Kosteniuk transfers to Switzerland

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

Alexandra Kosteniuk transfers to Switzerland

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:35 pm

Chris Goodall

Re: Alexandra Kosteniuk transfers to Switzerland

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:36 am

Herren-Grossmeister-Titel? Come on, Switzerland.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:26 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:36 am
Herren-Grossmeister-Titel? Come on, Switzerland.
Indeed, wasn't Switzerland about the last western nation to grant women the vote?
(1971 federal, 1990 in the last canton according to Wikipedia)
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:24 pm

Wiki speaks much more :

- In 2013, A.Kosteniuk became the first woman to win the men’s (i.e. universal) Swiss Chess Championship.[15] She also won the women Swiss champion title.
- A.Kosteniuk has dual Swiss-Russian citizenship.[15] She married Swiss-born Diego Garces, who is of Colombian descent,[34] at eighteen years old. On 22 April 2007 she gave birth to a daughter, Francesca Maria. In 2015, A.Kosteniuk married Russian Grandmaster Pavel Tregubov.[36]

So she has really close connection with Switzerland. She has even Swiss citizenship, so everything is OK. What's brave about that, as S.Bayat writes? It is a legal administrative act.

In many European countries you can not play for National Team without citizenship. ( I don't know how SUI).

In my home country SVK - you must to have SVK citizenship if play for National Team in any sport , including chess. It is Government low.

GM S. Movsesian left Armenia when teenager to Czechoslovakia, than he played for CZE, after that he played 8 years for SVK , because he got SVK citizenship. After that in 2010 he changed federation back for Armenian one. (Armenian chess federation payed to Slovakian Chess Federation 30 000 eur for this transfer ). No problem.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:18 pm

I thiak that's HELLA COOL

GM Kosteniuk has a permanent link on my site...

Why?

Because she gave me a FREE DVD...

Even flirted with me a bit ;)

Surreal world...

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:27 pm

It's good to hear, I've been a big fan of Alexandra for years and its nice to see her distancing herself from Russia.

I think she might have been the first ever female YouTuber, her videos are still fun to watch now especially in her mesmerising voice, and she really deserves to be a LOT more famous then she is.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.