Speed Chess Championship

The very latest International round up of English news.
Matt Mackenzie

Speed Chess Championship

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:41 pm

Surprised no thread has already been started on this, at least since Carlsen won his combined rapid/blitz match against Caruana by the barely believable score of 22 points to 4 - and not losing a single game in the process.

How does this compare with previous displays of utter domination, I wonder?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

LawrenceCooper

Re: Speed Chess Championship

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:15 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:41 pm
Surprised no thread has already been started on this, at least since Carlsen won his combined rapid/blitz match against Caruana by the barely believable score of 22 points to 4 - and not losing a single game in the process.

How does this compare with previous displays of utter domination, I wonder?
It's only the second time a player has won an SCC match without losing a game (Hikaru v Hou Yifan being the first). Hopefully MVL will be a bit more competitive against him later today.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:43 am

Nakamura wins the event - for the fifth time in a row - though there was apparently some controversy.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:54 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:43 am
though there was apparently some controversy.
Not according to the players.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:58 am

chess24 report
Magnus had no complaints:

It’s completely fine! I was impressed by his constant awareness of those matters. There was this one game in the 3+1 where I played the Modern and he’s actually done this against me before in one of the years in Norway Chess… and in that game I actually went for something else, which is really dubious if White knows what he’s doing. That game was drawn as well, but I figured he’d learned the line so I couldn’t really do that. And I didn’t realise the implications immediately, thinking that we were going to have a draw, and then of course at some point I realised he’s going to take the three minutes, and I’ve just got to say props to him for recognising that, and it’s absolutely fair game.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:05 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:43 am
... though there was apparently some controversy.
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:54 am
Not according to the players.
Levon Aronian has commented critically - about the rules, not about Nakamura. https://twitter.com/LevAronian/status/1 ... 0328885249

The same situation can arise in any Online Arena, although it's less likely. Normally in an Arena, you resign in a completely lost position as it is in your interests to move on to the next game. However, if you don't want your opponent to have time to play another game, then you run down the clock.

What I do regards as unethical is not resigning at the end of an Arena solely to deprive your opponent of the points for the last game.

Nakamura v Carlsen was a fantastic match.